You are not logged in.

Hard lemonade

• Serindipaty
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #4714 by Serindipaty
Hard lemonade was created by Serindipaty
Whilst not technically brewing. I have a tonne of lemons on my tree, figured why not give them a ferment.

Anyone made any? I guess pH of lemon juice might be a bit much for most yeast... But can always counter with a bicarbonate and dilution. Also doing a limoncello but that's not as exciting to watch.

Recipes I've seen are about 3L of lemon juice to make 20L with a bit of honey ginger and cinnamon in some.
Anyone tried one that they recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #4716 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Hard lemonade
Cant say I have made it mate, I think with all those kind of things, ginger ale etc, the real challenge comes with the back sweetening, I think thats the main problem I see people have.
Seltzers are getting huge and thats virtually just sugar and water fermented.. but I guess it would if you make your own natural lemon cordial or concentrate, add as desired.
byo.com/article/hard-seltzer-made-easy/

• Serindipaty
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #4718 by Serindipaty
Replied by Serindipaty on topic Hard lemonade
Ahh yeah I suppose back sweetening to taste before bottling might be the go. Was just going to load up on lactose in the "mash".

• Serindipaty
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #5052 by Serindipaty
Finally got around to this. Delays due to the rona etc.
Ended up going with:

Juice from my lemons about 2.5L ~approx 30 lemons
All the peels from them.
Few Sticks of Cinnamon
Knob of ginger sliced up.
10L Distilled water.
1kg Dex
1kg Brown
Left-over LDME (maybe 500g?)
Boiled in 10L of Distilled Water BIAB-style for an hour or so.
Removed all chunks from lemon-soup-wort
Added 10L cold distilled water.
Added 500gm Honey (I didn't boil the honey because I heard it can lose all it's honey flavours and I'm hoping it's natural antibiotic qualities prevent it becoming infected)
Took OG and was looking a bit low at 1.038.
So whilst wort cooled down I ran to the shops and added 2kg more of white sugar.

OG now sitting at around 1.066 good urine colour which is nice.

Pitching SafCider Yeast when it cools down a bit more, due to the handling of the low pH and high alc tolerance (not actually sure what my pH is... but figured lemon juice was going to start quite low.

Lemon piss wort tastes quite nice... however I imagine it's going to be incredibly tart once/if it all ferments out. Didn't bother putting in any non-fermentables, as figured I wanted to see what it ended up like as a baseline first. That way I can work out maybe how much it needs to be sweetened next time, and this time around I can just sweeten if needs be with simple syrup at time of consumption.

imgur.com/a/ccEs47D
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Serindipaty.

More
3 years 6 months ago #5053 by Gash
Lemon Piss Wort hahahaaha awesome, might ask the neighbour for some more lemons

• Serindipaty
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #5059 by Serindipaty
24 hours in there was a like a double Halo krausen-eque layer.. only thin though.
Then sort of dissipated down to nothing over the next 3 days.

Currently looking like some appetizing bath water.

imgur.com/a/Jz8GcPi

It's still bubbling away like crazy, so I suppose that's a good thing. I'm not sure how to fix up the clarity... or whether I care that much. Hopefully most of the haze is yeast in suspension that'll drop off. If not perhaps I'll give gelatin a crack, never worked with it before though? Or any other solution?
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Serindipaty.

More
3 years 6 months ago #5060 by Gash
I think it will clear a lot when the yeast drops out, I'm no expert though it will probably have some haze, most of the natural juices Ive drank do, and as you said gelatin will probably help with some of it. Like the halos . Cheers!

• Serindipaty
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #5096 by Serindipaty
imgur.com/a/Q9aPeNa

Well, that's a bit disappointing, I was hoping for heaps of lemon but despite the colour, almost no lemon flavour came across in the final product. I didn't think lack of lemon would have been the issue.

Ended up landing around 7-7.5%. The honey flavour is definitely there, but otherwise just tastes like a generic hard cider... that weird almost wine-like flavour they have.

Guess I'll wait until next season for another attempt! I didn't bother with the gelatin, figured it was only for aesthetics.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Serindipaty.

More
3 years 5 months ago #5097 by Gash
Wow thats a bugger.. weird isnt it because lemon flavour usually shines through anything. You would think just the peel would be enough.. I know in my red grapefruit IPA I just used 3 I think it was, a touch of lime and a touch of lemon, but the citrus was strong in it.

• Serindipaty
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #5098 by Serindipaty
Yeah, that was absolutely my expectation, not being "lemony" is kind of hard to fix!

Have done some further research and found a whole bunch of people doing similar style recipes, however, none have said it's fantastic there is the suggestion that the wine-like goon flavour settles after a few months.
All the recipes seem fairly similar, different yeast. No real loss other than time might just store away a couple of bottles for a 6-month test out of curiosity.

www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/hard-lemona...295033/#post-3711080
www.australianhomebrewing.com.au/learn/other-drinks/lemonade
aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/hard-lemonade.33597/#post-470890
aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/hard-lemonade.95962/#post-1469640
aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/hard-lemona...g.45885/#post-657623

A grapefruit IPA is on my to-do list, did you add the grapefruit to the actual boil? Or a couple of days later? Also, whole fruit, juice or juice and zest?

I've certainly had very citrussy based beers, but I wonder if they're somehow helped along by a citrus-strong hops edition also.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top