head

• ozdevil1
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 10 months ago #4709 by ozdevil1
head was created by ozdevil1
why is it important to have such a thick head on your beer, it is sending mr whippy broke

i was always told a 5cm head was perfect if you get ya lines down the glass was great

but why do some like the big icegream heads

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #4711 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic head
I dont know, I think its just a thing I've seen lately something trendy.. I dont even like when reviewers say its got a two finger head or whatever, its on video guys, I can see it hahahaha Cheers

More
3 years 9 months ago #4713 by Serindipaty
Replied by Serindipaty on topic head
I think different styles of beers benefit from differing amounts of head.

The head actually tastes a fair bit different to the liquid... You seem to get more of the bitterness and maltiness characters if you scoop a bit of head out to taste. I think it also goes well with some of the weird ice cream ales and such coming out for aesthetics.

It's also important as like insulation... The CO2 stays in the beer if it's got less place to escape because of the blanket of head.

Though I'm also convinced most of it is wankery and nobody should be telling people how to drink their drink. If you want a $500 bottle of scotch with Coke go for it.

From a business perspective you'll get slightly more profits from pouring a headier beer.. assuming no wastage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozdevil1

More
3 years 9 months ago #4715 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic head
I think I agree, the weird ice cream style beers, I guess people want them to look like it.
I've seen foamed substances added on top, umm I dont remember exactly right now what it was but was at beer festivals and it might a sour which has no head so they add a foamed ingredient on top, I just cant remember what it was.
Thats different though I guess, I just see over carbed beer or like when I used to bottle and you'd open up something thats months old or something and its either carbed a bit more , maybe hop creep or infection, or when theres bits of hop in the beer and it causes a slow gusher.. The photos some times look nice but I can't help but think its a failed brew is some form. I mean how else does it get that big, something isnt right.
I assume if the beer is right that they are artificially doing it as in using a shaker or foamer or some sort. Each to their own I guess!
Cheers!

• ozdevil1
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 9 months ago #4728 by ozdevil1
Replied by ozdevil1 on topic head
thanks guys

i was always brought up a good head wasnt meant to look like icecream

but researching a bit more i can see the reason behind it now

but the big head doesnt do it for me for an average beer and i really dont think it needs it if its a session beer..

but i may occasionly try it mysel to really form the opinion wether its a good thing or not

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top