You are not logged in.

IBU calculations in Beersmith don't match recipe sheet

• peter01010101
  • peter01010101's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #3165 by peter01010101
I am about to brew a clone of the Brew Dog Galaxy single hop IPA (recipe # 81 from DIY Dog). I am using a Robobrew (Gen2) and Beersmith with the Robobrew profiles from here (thanks Gash).
I put all the ingredients into Beersmith as per the recipe sheet to prepare a brew schedule and check the numbers. Volumes, gravity and colour was fine but the bitterness IBUs were way up in Beersmith.
Recipe states 67 IBUs while Beersmith calculates 133.5.
Not quite sure which way to go from here - do I use the stated quantities (75g bitterness and 75g flavour) or reduce the quantities to match the target IBUs of 67?
Could these be quantities of fresh hop flowers, and would that make such a significant difference when using pellets?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by peter01010101.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3166 by Gash
Just as a start, middle doesnt mean middle, though Im guessing because I haven't seen that recipe, but I'll take a look, Every single recipe in every book or online will need adjusting unless its been specifically written with our same BS profiles. Even then hops Alpha Acids etc will differ too, so there is always some adjusting. I'll check it out for you

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3167 by Gash
lucked out on the middle lol thats where most get it wrong.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3168 by Gash
So I threw everything in, I think the 60min needs halving, whether thats a mistake or because they will have very different outcomes in different systems. The 60min does seem extremely large at 75g, I've been doing IPAs with a third, actually less than a third of that. So my recommendation so we're following more to their stats is to get to most like 2/3 of the bitterness from the 60min and the rest will come from the whirlpool. Although I do need to ask whether you plan to do a hot steep at the end or an under 80c one. I normally do hot steeps so thats whats in the recipe, if you do cold steeps up the 60min to get to the 67 Ibus because the rest won't add bitterness. Hope that makes sense, let me know. You need to right click the link below to save/open it. Cheers!

This gunna be a big beer! Thats a lot of galaxy! Blows my mind hahaha

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• peter01010101
  • peter01010101's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3169 by peter01010101
Replied by peter01010101 on topic IBU calculations in Beersmith don't match recipe sheet
Thanks for the quick reply Gash. I thought the 60min addition was excessive, I don't think I've gone bigger than 25g before. I looked through a couple of their other IPAs and huge 60min additions seem their norm although with similar target IBUs. (65 -70).
With the flavour addition I was planning a hot steep & whirlpool (10 minutes) then run through my plate chiller.
I think Beersmith can calculate IBUs from a whirlpool addition now.
Thanks again. Cheers.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3170 by Gash
Yep it can, its a rough estimate because its hard to tell what you'll get
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter01010101

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top