You are not logged in.

Water Profile

More
5 years 11 months ago #3123 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Water Profile
Have to redo my experiment as my ph meter crapped out, didnt rince after first mash test and or submerged it too deep and flooded the the electronics. Readings were all over the show and finally only read 1. Managed to get it up and running the next day by leaving it in the buffer solution for arounfd 4 hours then rincing it it warm water. Bloody hell thought id stuffed it.
The previous brew turned out well but i think i can taste that I added extra calcium choride. Just a tad.
Now I know what that and the gypsum taste like and do to the mash. cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3124 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Water Profile
Yeah you really got to look after the pH meter, and if it hasnt been used for a while probably soak it a few hours and store wet if it has the little cover thing, should tell you all that in instructions. Cheers Mate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
3 years 2 months ago #5175 by Carrobrew
Replied by Carrobrew on topic Water Profile
Reviving this old thread.

I am about to brew an ESB and the recipe calls for the Burton on Trent water profile but the sulfate amounts seem crazy to me.

Ca2+ 270 | Mg2+ | Na+ 27 | Cl- 85 | SO4 2- 705 | HCO3- 32 |

Also putting this into brewfather it actually brings my PH down to 5.13 based on using my local water and adjusting.

Has anyone used the Burton profile for an ESB? Should I crack on with in and adjust my PH somehow?

Is there a better profile for an ESB?

More
3 years 2 months ago #5176 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Water Profile
Really great question. And there's nothing wrong with ph 5.1. As far as the flavour profile goes the perceived bitterness ,i would guess would be well forward. If it was me id probably back the SO4 off a tad until you get a ph of 5.2 .So that would keep you in the comfort zone and then when your drinking it you can decide if you want to go all the way with your next ESB
I ve read a lot of pros and cons of the Burton water profile and it can be confusing. Often in brewing its a bit of trial and error . Id be keen to hear how you get on and what you decide.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top