You are not logged in.

Chocolate oatmeal stout

• Alan Care
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #2946 by Alan Care
Chocolate oatmeal stout was created by Alan Care
Hi guys this is my first post so please go easy on me.
I have only done a couple of kits so far and would like to progress a bit.
My thoughts are for a chocolate oatmeal stout
First of all things I have
I tin Coopers stout
I tin amber LME
500g DME
Things I would like to add (feel free to fill in the blanks)
....grams chocolate malt
....grams carapils for body and head retention
....grams porridge oats
Could these be steeped or require mashing
Dry hop with ...grams of which hop(have some Fuggles)
And which yeast
Look forward to your input

Happy new year to you and yours from Bonnie Scotland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #2947 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Chocolate oatmeal stout
Hello Alan, your recipe looks fine. I personaly have never done a grain steep before but yes you can steep thoughs grains. I would go 150g of chocolate(dark) 400g of carapils and 500 g of oats. Wouldnt bother with dry hopping ( but your choice )
Yeast 2 packs of S04.
Yeah, thats what i would do and its great to see you branching out so to speak and try these things, awesome.
I dont know if you know but Gash has an awesome channel on youtube under Gash Slug.
Happy New Year to you aswell. Cheers mate , let us know how you get on.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #2948 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Chocolate oatmeal stout
Gday mate, I'd probably not worry about the carapils to be honest, most carapils need a mash rather than a simple steep, that isnt hard to do, but with oats and other things I dont think the carapils is needed.
Saying that to actually mash the oats would be good, they need it too. So what I'd do is ditch the carapils but add maybe 500g of a 2-row, ale malt or pale ale malt crushed and 300-500g of Quick Oats (porridge) Quick oats are the go. Add your chocolate malt 100-200g. I'd steep them for 30mins to an hour together, but steep at about 66-67c, so heat 3 litres too about 73c. Turn off heat, mix the grains and oats in, put a lid on it and cover it in a towel or something, forget about it for an hour. Theres your first mash :) . Strain it out, boil the "wort" for 15mins. At end of the boil you could chuck in some hops for a 10min steep if you like. Not sure how much you like fuggles but around 30g might be ok.
If you've seen my Coopers Pale NEIPA video its much the same process, just a smaller amount of grain.

Hope that makes sense, couldnt find my glasses hahaha
Ask any more questions you like mate!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Gash.

More
6 years 2 months ago #2951 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Chocolate oatmeal stout
Nice one Gash, happy new year. I dont acually know what a mash does to oatmeal. Ive done it , made many oatmeal stouts and i know what effect it has on my stout, smooth silky mouthfeel, but whats going on there do you know. Cheers. ( no pressure haha)

More
6 years 2 months ago #2953 by Gash
Happy New Year! Oats will convert just like barley but they are very low in enzymes so by adding the base malt (ale malt) this helps it along because the barley has plenty of enzymes, thats it in simple terms! With this New Year hangover its about all I can muster at the moment hahaha. Cheers!

• Alan Care
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #2954 by Alan Care
Replied by Alan Care on topic Chocolate oatmeal stout
Thanks guys. Just ordered the ingredients. Looking forward to this. Gash I have watched the video for the NEIPA and it's definitely next on my list

• Alan Care
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #3126 by Alan Care
Just getting round to trying this. Was trying to leave it to condition as long as possible but curiosity got the better of me. Can't believe the difference in taste and body from my kit and kilo brews. Mini or partial mashes are the way to go at the moment for me. I was wondering if I could do this again using DME and partial mash and adding hops. May look at Brewdogs DIY Dog for hop ideas. Biggest pot I have is around 10 litres and only looking to do a 15-30 minute boil if possible. As before any advice would be most welcome

More
5 years 11 months ago #3133 by Gash
yeah sure we could figure something out, let me know batch size and alcohol strength and what you're after all up, Cheers mate!

• Alan Care
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #3135 by Alan Care
Hi Gash. Looking to brew 21-23 litres at 6-7% abv. After doing the mini mash above i was so impressed with the difference in body and flavour from my previous kit and kilo brews. The biggest pot i have is around 10 litres so limited to the amount i can boil. I have chosen DME as there is a distinct taste to my previous kit brews. I fancied a go at the Coopers cascarillo amber ale so i made that yesterday with 3.5kg DME and 300g of dextrose and followed Coopers hop schedule. Will be interested to try.As for hops for the stout i am open to any suggestions. I also would like to bring out more of the chocolate in this one. Cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top