You are not logged in.

Nelson Sauvin Hops

• chuznut
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #1807 by chuznut
Nelson Sauvin Hops was created by chuznut
A mate of mine just arrived back from NZ and got me a mix of different hop varieties one of which was Nelson Sauvin, the guy at the home brew shop said that a lot of brewers in NZ use them in IPA's and Pales any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1808 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Nelson Sauvin Hops
Can be used in used it lots of things, from saisons to IPAs, best bet would be to make a pale ale or IPA and chuck a bit in at the end to see if you like it, maybe 20g at 10mins and 30g at flame out. Or in the IPA section there is a an IPA I made for Steve James Barr in NZ that uses a bit in it.

• chuznut
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #1809 by chuznut
Replied by chuznut on topic Nelson Sauvin Hops
Thanks Gash I was thinking along the same lines I will try a 15 min and a 1 1 min additions and see how it goes

The other hops I got were NZ Cascade, Motueka, and Pacifica I am going to busy utilising these bad boys let me know if you have any ideas

Cheers
Rob

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1819 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic Nelson Sauvin Hops
Can't comment to much on the Sauvin other than to say I prefer it as a late addition and dry hop. Liberty brewing do a Sauvignon Bomb and Halo Pilsner that feature Sauvin hops. But yep its in loads of local brews.

I have used NZ cascade repetitively for 1.5 years and compared to the USA versions on many IPA's. I find the NZ imparts fresher notes of the typical Cascade flavors and smells and that's cause it is fresher (closer to source) The AA's are different by sometimes up to 2% depending on season and the pellet style is different.

I know that Motueka is one (maybe the second) largest produced in the last growing season down here. Again haven't used it.

Southern Cross is one I have used as a substitute in a Imperial RYE IPA recipe found on this site worked out really well and I have since used it as a bittering hop with good results in a couple other darks and a amber. Its now a favourite hop. Planning to re-brew the RYE IPA again soon.

Cheers
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by xenon. Reason: need to go back to skool

• chuznut
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #1823 by chuznut
Thanks Dizzle for the insight with regards to the hops,
I will be using the 30g of the NZ Cascade as a Dry Hop in my attempt at a Sierra Nevada Pale Clone, I will also be trying the other Hops (Motueka, Pacifica) and some Cascade in an attempt at the Sierra Nevada Southern Harvest Fresh Hop IPA.

Cheers
Rob

More
8 years 6 months ago #1824 by xenon
No worries mate. Probably wasn't that informative, but I like to have a chat about beers and I live in NZ.

Ya 'know I haven't seen any AUS hops for sale. THey must grow hops in Aussie...right? We only get rump steak and its cheaper than locally grown beef :huh:

I recently had my first Sierra Nevada beers. The IPA and a Hop Hunter. Both great beers, but the Hop Hunter didn't live up to its name. Was a bit tame in a sensible commercial way and I was hoping for something more.

Cheers

More
8 years 6 months ago #1825 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Nelson Sauvin Hops
Plenty of Aussie hops! Galaxy, Vic Secret, Ella, Summer, Enigma, Topaz, Pride of Ringwood, just to name a few!

More
8 years 6 months ago #1826 by xenon
Nice! Googling now and will be asking at my LHBS

Cheers

• chuznut
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #1827 by chuznut

No worries mate. Probably wasn't that informative, but I like to have a chat about beers and I live in NZ.

Ya 'know I haven't seen any AUS hops for sale. THey must grow hops in Aussie...right? We only get rump steak and its cheaper than locally grown beef :huh:

I recently had my first Sierra Nevada beers. The IPA and a Hop Hunter. Both great beers, but the Hop Hunter didn't live up to its name. Was a bit tame in a sensible commercial way and I was hoping for something more.

Cheers

I am heading to NZ for work in November so I will be checking out more of the hop varieties and more of the Beers over there they are awesome some of the best Craft beers in the world.

Cheers
Rob

More
8 years 6 months ago #1828 by xenon
Any trip with beer is a good trip!

There are loads and loads nowadays. To many to recommend, but some of my favorites are;

PANHEAD - Vandal and everything else
LIBERTY - Yaikima Monster, Citra but evrything they do
GARAGE PROJECT - Death from above, Pernicious Weed ... to name a few

I haven't looked to be fair, but what are some good craft beers Aussie is exporting...I'll have a look. My local liquor store has 6 taps on constant circulation with plans to add more for Growlers and Flagons. In the last year they have extended the fridge and now there is 50/50 craft to regular brews. The range is massive. I'm sure you'll find your way, but only select stores offer large selections to choose from.

Cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top