You are not logged in.

KegLand counterflow chiller connections?

• count-ant
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3553 by count-ant
KegLand counterflow chiller connections? was created by count-ant
Hi folks,

Does anyone have the new KegLand counterflow chiller? I've purchased it and coming from no-chilling I'm at a loss as to what the best connections are to run from the garden hose to chiller and RoboBrew to fermenter.

If anyone has some info on their setup or suggestion it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #3554 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic KegLand counterflow chiller connections?
Hello, I think the best set up is to have seperate hose and connectors.from your tap. Go to a hardware store like bunnings and get enough hose like clear hose and get quick snape connectors to connect to tap and also hose clip screw tighten clamp.At about 10 min you can see what i do. I use soft poly hose and connect with hose connects. If this doesnt make sence i will do a video for you. cheers mate. great question. cheers

• count-ant
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3555 by count-ant
Replied by count-ant on topic KegLand counterflow chiller connections?
Hi Finnroo - thanks for the video.

Found some good clear tubing on the bunnings website so I'll go check that out plus the screw clamps. Do you know if vinyl tubing is okay to use from the chiller to fermenter, won't get any off flavours etc?

Cheers

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #3556 by Finnroo
Just had a look because i remember checking it was food safe and yes if its the Pope clear vinyl tubing thats what ive got and use for all my brew applications here the info i copied

Pope clear vinyl tubing is suitable for transfer of liquids at low pressure. The clear hose provides a visual reference for easy identification of blockages or foreign objects.

It is food grade and suitable for drinking water as well as petrol contact with siphon lines, cable protection and drainage lines. Conforms to AS/NZS 2070 for food contact.

Lightweight and flexible
Corrosion and abrasion resitant
Used to transfer air, fluids and water

Cheers.Should be good.with no off flavours. let us know how you get on ,
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Finnroo.

More
5 years 6 months ago #3559 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic KegLand counterflow chiller connections?
The connections for that chiller are a pain, due to the pipe size, I got mine from Keg King a while back but assume its the same one. I use silicon hose for the beer side, that seems to clamp on, if you're worried you can get s slightly smaller 10mm ID silicon hose from Grain and Grape. That was the easy side, the hose side being too small to clamp a regular hose on, so I bought a couple of hose reducers to use, just a short length of hose, and connect straight to a garden hose. just be aware that on the "out" side the water will be very hot and the hose will get very soft and may need supporting to prevent kinking. I know it sounds obvious but make sure you get the counterflow part correct and it will chill just fine, its very easy to get the hoses mixed up. Cold ground water in on the same side your cooled wort will be coming out. Cheers!

More
5 years 6 months ago #3561 by Gash

More
5 years 6 months ago #3563 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic KegLand counterflow chiller connections?
I should mention that I would of got better connections if I had easier access to them, since Masters shut, they had a great selection of fittings, bunnings fittings seemed to of shrunk to bugger all, they had a lot for 1/2 inch but none for the size of the counterflow. If you have a plumbing supply nearby they would probably fix you up straight away. Cheers

• count-ant
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3564 by count-ant
Cheers Gash, muppet over here was setting it up to be parallel flow.

I hit up Bunnings in the weekend, got the vinyl tubing at 10mm for most connections. Hopefully run it through a cleaning cycle this week and will report back. I’ll upload some photos of where I ended up invade anyway has the same issues!

More
5 years 6 months ago #3566 by Finnroo
Hello , i just read this, so keepin mind, as Gash said the vinyl hose will get soft if its hot and there s resistance. Same with the jacket it would seem.
Quote.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The outer cooling jacket is not designed to withstand high pressure, so do not connect this to your house water pressure without the outlet of the chiller being open.
Youve probably read this but ill put it in any cheers
www.williamsbrewing.com/Keg-Land-Counter...t-Chiller-P4391.aspx

• count-ant
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3576 by count-ant
@Finroo, @Gash - cheers for your advice!

Brewed up a Vienna Lager, first brew with chilling and first brew on the RB V3. Overall everything went really well, numbers were pretty close.. but as expected will take a couple brews to get everything dialled in I think. Chiller worked a treat, went straight into the fermenter at about 27C which isn't the end of the world.

Hoses and fittings worked really well, only issue I didn't account for was the chilled wort out hose. Initially I thought vinyl would be okay, but I wanted to recirculate back into the RB for a few minutes to sterilise and the hose got pretty soft (hopefully didn't leach anything either).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top