You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

Just joined Cellar Dwellers

• ajay3451
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #2638 by ajay3451
Just joined Cellar Dwellers was created by ajay3451
Hey guys, excited to be a part of this community! I've been brewing for 2 years now. After I got my temp controlled fermenter set up with an old chest freezer my beers have jumped up a notch in quality. I now recently graduated up from a BIAB and propane burner to a brand new Robobrew! I live in North Dakota in the U.S. and winters are bitter cold. So excited to not have to sit outside trying to reach temps, but instead just let it roll in the kitchen! I found this sight when looking for a BeerSmith Robobrew profile and thought it would be great to join! I currently have a Pumpkin Ale ready to be racked into a keg, and a batch of Hard Apple Cider to bottle. On deck is gonna be an IPA and a Milk Stout.

Any tips for a new person with a Robobrew? I'm using it for the first time on Sunday and worried i'm going to over shoot my numbers because I'm used to my BIAB system (was getting 77% efficiency with it).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #2639 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Just joined Cellar Dwellers
G'day mate! I wouldnt worry too much about overshooting I got 81% mash eff last batch without even trying. and all up brewhouse eff of about 76%. So you should be ok. STrike temp get that right, measure grain temp etc if you get that right its smooth sailing, stir well let it settle for 10 mins and stir again. Other than that all should be fine. I do have a series videos I've done on the robobrew if you search Gash Slugg on youtube you'll find it. Cheers! Let e know any other questions you have. Cheers

• ajay3451
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #2650 by ajay3451
Replied by ajay3451 on topic Just joined Cellar Dwellers
Thanks! I finished my first brew with the Robobrew. Here is the problem I ran into. All my numbers are going to be Fahrenheit and US measurement, sorry guys :-(. The mash went great, I sparged with 2 gallons of water to bring my preboil volume up to 6 gallons. I flipped off the 500W switch and flipped on the 1000w switch. Set temp to 216F. Took an hour to start boiling. Once it did the 1000W switch light would turn off every 10 minutes or so. After 40 minutes of resetting it and flipping it on and off for 3-4 minutes it would come on again. The display screen always stayed on even when the light in the 1000W switch went out, so it wasn't the whole unit. After a google search I found that there is a feature that turns it on and off on it's own to conserve energy. So I increased the temp to 230F and it stayed on the last 15 minutes of the boil.
Is this normal? Does everyone else have to increase the boil temp so much just to keep it on? Or do I have a short somewhere?

More
6 years 6 months ago #2654 by Gash
Thats entirely normal, my old V1 I used to have to set at 104, the new model I set about 110c (220F) Boil temps vary due to many things. If you have the temp set too close to boiling it will turn off thinking its getting close to the temp you want. Cheers mate!

• ajay3451
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #2661 by ajay3451
Thanks, good to know! What pre-boil volume do you sparg up to? Also I was cleaning it and the water pump got clogged up and wouldn't pump. So last night I had to take the pump out, open it up and pulled out 2 small grains, but it all back together and it worked again. Anyone else getting clogged up like this? I know the second brew will go better now that I've dealt with all this stuff the first time haha

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2663 by Gash
I havent had mine clog up at all, but I guess it happens, it would be best to flush it immediately after each brew. The problem with me suggesting preboil volumes is we probably have different boil because of the different power supplies and also the fact most in Australia brew 6 Gallon batches, just always been the case for 30 years. For 6 gallons I sparge until it hits the very top mark on the robobrew I think its 30L/ 8 Gallon Mark.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Gash.

More
6 years 6 months ago #2665 by Gash
Just to let you know, I'm attempting a 5 gallon . 19L batch today! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ajay3451

More
6 years 6 months ago #2667 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Just joined Cellar Dwellers
What are you brewing mate?

More
6 years 6 months ago #2670 by Gash
Just doing the amber ale again so I know what I usually expect and can compare to the 19l batch :)

• ajay3451
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #2671 by ajay3451
Love that you're doing a 5 gallon batch! I can tell you my numbers and see if you find the same thing. I started with 7 gallons of water for the mash. After pouring 3/4th of my grainbill in I was almost to the top of the robobrew and decided to use the ball valve and take out 1 gallon leaving me with 6 gallons of water for mash. Mashed for 60 minutes, increased temp and mashed out for 15 more minutes. Then lifted grain basket and sparged with water i pulled out earlier (cold, which i'll change to hot next time) until preboil volume was at 6 gallons (23L). Boiled for 60 minutes. Ended up with 4.5 gallons in my fermenter. Assuming i'll loose 1/2 gallon from trub, that'll leave me with 4 gallons to keg which is 1 gallon short of what i wanted. So next time I'm going to sparg until i have 7 gallons (27L) preboil and see how that goes.

And you're right, I should have cleaned the system better after brewing, i did a quick wash and let it sit 24 hours before doing a complete PBW soak and scrub so that's probably why the pump clogged. You live and you learn!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top