You are not logged in.

Batch more bitter than expected.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2110 by ASW
Hello all
I've been brewing for a few months now and just made my first recipe using BS. I've been using coopers pre-hopped extract cans and adding combos of steeped hops and dry hops to pep them up a bit but with this batch I wanted to use unhopped extract and LD malt as a base and do a 60 minute boil using Super Pride, Cascade, Vic secret and Galaxy to get an ambery pale ale around 6% and not too bitter, so here's what I did.

Steeped 500g MED Crystal in 5ltr @ 70c
Emptied liquid off and added another 5l to the grains and poured all the liquid into my 15ltr stock pot.
Added 1kg of LDME and 1.5kg Dextrose, boil.
Hop additions
20g Super Pride @ 60mins
13g Cascade @45
10g Cascade @ 20
10g Cascade @ flame out
10g Vic Secret @ Flame out
Added the can of Light extract and topped up with near 0c water to get to pitching temp of 22c

Its been in the fermenter fridge for 7 days at 18.5, I just dry hopped 20g of Galaxy and took a sample to check the gravity which was 1014, so nearly done. I took swig of the sample and while tasty was very bitter, i'd say at least 50% more than a standard Coopers IPA can. When I built this recipe in BS I used the IPA's 71 IBU as my guide and wanted to stay under 60 IBU. Brewsmith said I could expect 30.7 IBU but I think its much higher than that.
Can any one see where I went wrong?

Thanks
Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2111 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Batch more bitter than expected.
What size batch did you top up too?

More
7 years 9 months ago #2112 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Batch more bitter than expected.
And how long did you steep after flameout for?

More
7 years 9 months ago #2114 by ASW
Replied by ASW on topic Batch more bitter than expected.
Hey mate topped up to 23 liters and steeped for about 10 mins.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top