You are not logged in.

First ever brew - partial mash recipe!

• Yeastyboys
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #1600 by Yeastyboys
First ever brew - partial mash recipe! was created by Yeastyboys
OK so I have never brewed a beer before in my life - no extracts, no kits...nothing. I do have a penchant for technical subjects (I'm into landscape architecture and hydroponics) and, after laborious study, I've devised a recipe for a pale ale, with the things I am looking for in a basic beer - and I would appreciate someone to look it over for me.

For 20L of "Overzealous" Pale Ale

2Kg DME - Light
1Kg LME - Amber
1Kg Caramel Malt L45
45g Hallertau Perle Hops 8.5% Alpha (25g bitter, 10 Flavour, 10g Aroma)
23g Safbrew WB-06 yeast

In a nutshell, mash the caramel malt at 66 degrees celcius in 1.5L of water for 60 min. Batch sparge in 10L of water at 70 degrees for 15 min. Boil resulting wort for 60 min with the first lot of hops until 15min left, add more hops, boil until flame out and add last hops. Cool rapidly in ice bath, pour into 20L carboy and fill with distilled water, shake like mad, pitch rehydrated yeast, shake, leave for 3 weeks, bottle. How am I doing?

I figured that beer making is simple, it's the theory that takes a lot of chewing, lol! But I'm fine with that - in some ways I'm looking slightly more forward to the brewing process than drinking it! Never thought I'd say that!

Anyway, if someone could have a quick squizz and see whether or not "bad beer ninjas" might erupt from this batch, please let me know. I appreciate any and all criticism, knowledge and experience anyone may feel like giving. My sincere thanks :woohoo:
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Yeastyboys. Reason: Left out a step in the process

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #1603 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First ever brew - partial mash recipe!
Ok doesn't look bad, except thats a lot of caramel malt, Caramel Malt mostly doesn't ferment and is used for body, colour and head retention. I'd actually cut the caramel malt back to about 300-500g Max. It also doesnt really require a strict mash, although it won't hurt, but a simple steep in some hot water (under 80c) would be fine, temp doesnt need to be strict and 30mins would do. Besides that the rest is looking good. What alcohol level are you trying for? Cheers!

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #1604 by Gash
All your Caramel, Crystal, Chocolate and Roast malts don't need mashing. They can even be steeped in cold water over night in the fridge!

• Yeastyboys
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #1605 by Yeastyboys
Replied by Yeastyboys on topic First ever brew - partial mash recipe!
Thanks! I was wondering why the alcohol percentage didn't go up much on Brewtarget (yes, I cheated!)

Wanted an alcohol level of about 6 - 7%, but enough flavour that it still tastes like a beer, not wine. Should I add treacle / honey / golden syrup / etc or leave it alone and just see how it goes? Otherwise, if I steep say 300g caramel, but then mash 1Kg pilsner malt, would that work?

P.s. I've watched many of your videos on youtube (Gash Slugg) - is there any particular one you would suggest that might help with this recipe?
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Yeastyboys. Reason: Recalculated and it didn't make the alc volume I was looking for

• Yeastyboys
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #1607 by Yeastyboys
Ok, so I ended up doing the following:

"Overzealous Pale Ale"
- 2Kg Pilsner German (Mashed at 66 deg Celsius)
- 3Kg DME Light
- 300g Caramalt cracked and COLD steeped overnight
Hallertau 8.5% (25g @ 60min, 15g at 15min, 10g at flame out)
Safale S-04

Is busy chilling at a constant 20 degrees... Let's see what happens - will post the results after I've finished swallowing them :whistle:
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Yeastyboys. Reason: caramalt weight forgotten - I seems to do this a lot.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #1610 by Gash
Good stuff, by the way you never mentioned you were using Pilsner malt! When you are doing a mash you can just throw the crystal into the mash to make it easy. Its just when you only use steeping grains on their own there is no need for a mash, just a steep will do.

• Yeastyboys
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago #1611 by Yeastyboys
Lol! When I researched your suggestion, I found it was exactly what I wanted - only the flavour of the caramel malt without any added bitterness or tannins. I was really nervous about the grain story, but when I got down to it, it wasn't so bad at all. I was actually trying to avoid using grain until I got a bit more confident, but what the hell you only live once right? Now while that one is sitting and turning into a proper thirst quencher, I'm all for trying out something even better.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top