You are not logged in.

Dry Hopping

• camstans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 days ago #621 by camstans
Dry Hopping was created by camstans
Ive always done my dry hopping in a muslin hop bag and seems to work as expected.
i was wondering about the pros and cons of throwing the hops (pellets) straight in to the fermenter, be it at primary or secondary.

Would i get more out of my dry hopping by adding them straight in?

I just baught a shed load of hops from Hop Dealz Australia and im keen to go hop mad on some IPA's and want to get the most out of them.

Cheers.
Cam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 days ago #623 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Dry Hopping
Normally I don't use a bag and just throw them in, but now I'm kegging a lot more i am considering using a bag, or similar. I think if you have plenty of room in the bag for the hops to expand, as they do, you will be just fine. There won't be any difference if you make sure the hops have plenty of room in the bag. If you use a small bag and the hops expand and all bunch up then you could possibly get less aroma etc from them. I got a delivery from them today too :lol:

• camstans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 days ago #626 by camstans
Replied by camstans on topic Dry Hopping
Sweet.
I just use those bags you get from the LHBS which could stretch a mile and substitute for a bank robbery if necessary.
its just when you see them floating on top all the time you wonder if all the goodness is getting in.
Havent had a prob so far so ill stick with it.

i ordered from them on Sunday night and got them this morning (melb to sydney) - good service that

Cheers

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 days ago #628 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Dry Hopping
if you are worried about the floating you can get a few marbles or something that can be sanitised and put in the bag to weigh it down

• camstans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 days ago #629 by camstans
Replied by camstans on topic Dry Hopping
Not so much worried if its not going to make any difference ?

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top