You are not logged in.

Over pitching

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #1473 by xenon
Over pitching was created by xenon
Fellas,

Fact or Fiction? Can you over pitch yeast? If you have over pitched what taste would you expect to come through in your beer

Cheers B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #1476 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Over pitching
To be honest I have never over pitched! But did remember something I had read and just found it, just a little experiment but interesting nonetheless !

Pitching Rate Experiment

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #1479 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic Over pitching
Twas very interesting indeed. I sometimes think with all the information and quality home brewer product. One could be guilty of over doing or over obsessing some aspects, such as pitching.

From a beginner point of view I have learnt how to tell the difference and importantly that in a case where over pitching did occur the beer is still drinkable and that my friends is what its all about.

Bottoms up :)

• Johnson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1497 by Johnson
Replied by Johnson on topic Over pitching
yeast pitching rates is something i do still struggle with but i would always air on the side of over pitching rather than under pitching. i have had substantial undesireable flavours with underpitching with some yeasts but with most if you are in the ball park its all good (beware ringwood 1187)

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1976 by sittingaround
Replied by sittingaround on topic Over pitching
I put down a black metal IPA Sunday with a after boil grav of 1.065 and pitched in my dry yeast. I didnt make a starter and after 24 hours there isnt much going on. I dont have a fermentation fridge so its sitting at about 22-24deg.

Question is after 48hours and there is still not much going on could i/ should i create a starter and pitch that in? or will that cause other issues?
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by sittingaround.

More
8 years 1 month ago #1978 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Over pitching
Yes you could do that no problems, I have a feeling the yeast will kick in, but if it doesnt it's fine to pitch more

More
8 years 1 month ago #1980 by sittingaround
Replied by sittingaround on topic Over pitching
cheers mate :)

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top