You are not logged in.

Backsweeten Your Beer ?

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #370 by Dullahan Brewing
Backsweeten Your Beer ? was created by Dullahan Brewing
Ok so you have 23 litres of brew and all went well but you have a tart taste because you may have added fruit at incorrect stage. What do you back sweeten with? What is your favourite back sweetner?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #371 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Backsweeten Your Beer ?
Hmm another interesting topic, I must say I've never tried to back sweeten a beer, but I'd say you'd have to either add an unfermentable sweetener like Lactose or an artificial sweetener so they dont just ferment into more alcohol, or kill off the yeast and sweeten with some simple sugars. All these will probably add more body to your beer as well, which you may not want. Again my suggestion would be to do a small test, pour off a glass and add a sweetener and see if its what your after. I'd still be waiting for the fermentation to finish first. I hope we get some more answers on this one, it's an interesting thought, I have checked all my brewing books, I have over a dozen, and none mention back sweetening of beers. Tomorrow I will find my notes from my beer course and see if I can find anything.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #372 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Backsweeten Your Beer ?
I am waiting a week either way but i was on to Mrs Tiny on bubbles and chalk and she said it might be the way i added the pineapple cause she had something similar happen to her before with a fruit addition in a brew and she was able to save it by back sweetening with unfermentables before bottling. She also reckone that it might not be an infection since i brought everything to a boil to sterilise and i starsan all equipment.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #373 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Backsweeten Your Beer ?
yes it would be extremely unlucky to have got an infection.

• munisingbeer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #397 by munisingbeer
Replied by munisingbeer on topic Backsweeten Your Beer ?
if i wanted to back sweeten I think I would go with lactose so I didn't have to worry about fermenting.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #400 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Backsweeten Your Beer ?
Syphoned the Pineapple Heffenweisen into secondary and added some beer finings(chitosan) to help clear it fast. Still smells iffy but no way looked infected which is starnge. I reckon Kate McClellan is correct as it smelled like the stink was coming from the chunks of pineapple rather than from the beer itself if that makes sense. Probably Friday i will have added the precipitated chalk, leave to settle until Sunday and chuck in some lactose. We will see.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top