You are not logged in.

Hacking Kettle Elements For Boiler.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #997 by Dullahan Brewing
Hacking Kettle Elements For Boiler. was created by Dullahan Brewing
Ok so i am getting the STC 1000 this week but i have decided that before i do any more brewing i will knock together a wort boiler from a 33lt bucket FV, this because my 10lt stock pot is way too small for easy use tbh, I am going this route because my two 50lt kegs fell through and the one i have in the attic i can't get anyone to cut and drill for me :(

There seems to be two schools of thought here, one says hack a 7 euro kettle for the element and lead, the other says pay 20 euro and get a screw in setup from HB shop. Which one would ye choose? I will post a couple of links below to both.The UK and here seem to be around the same price for the HB shop ones so no advantage there. :silly:

www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/S...|Argos+Value+Range|1

www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/spare-kettle-element-p-1100.html
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Dullahan Brewing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #998 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Hacking Kettle Elements For Boiler.
hmmmm Surprises me that those boiler setups only use one element, there isnt much difference between the jug element and the brew shop one at all. The brew shop one is probably easier to install by the looks of it. I just use the cheap jug elements at the moment. I've never tried them in a plastic FV though, but it seems people have.

hrafnkell.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/diy-plastic-boil-kettle/

It looks like we do it slightly different, we take out all the 'cut off' switching mechs and wire directly to the element.

Just make sure your bucket can withstand boiling water without getting too soft.

Choice of element is really up to you. Just make sure you drill the holes accurately and carefully.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #999 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Hacking Kettle Elements For Boiler.
Until i can get someone to cut the keg i have in the attic(only place it is not in my way) then this is my only option really.From what i am told the plastic to use is marked PP with a 5 i think ?. Now this can be the see through FV or it can be the opaque FV, i have the see through type atm. I am told that although you can use both as a boiler the opaque(can't see through) hold up to boiling temperatures far better and are generally stronger anyway.

• m3taL_Brewer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #1000 by m3taL_Brewer
Replied by m3taL_Brewer on topic Hacking Kettle Elements For Boiler.
after having a plastic bucket HLT, Id never use one as a boiler cos of the softness, Mine was a 5mm thick foodgrade bucket, I had large oversided washers on everything and drilled the holes perfectly.

Gash got a cheap 40mm Hole saw off ebay, if it does the job once in a keg its worth it for sure id hate to have to deal with a tap or element popping out of a boiling bucket of wort.

the dilemmer of Catching a live hot element, stopping 30 l of boiling wort and trying to turn off a powerpoint all at once....

No beer is worth hurting yourself mate

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #1001 by Dullahan Brewing
I agree Jamo m8 but i can't get anyone to cut the top off the keg for me is the problem. If i can get that done i will convert the keg ;)

• m3taL_Brewer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #1002 by m3taL_Brewer
Replied by m3taL_Brewer on topic Hacking Kettle Elements For Boiler.
Trying to think of something you could use, Can you get a Cheap arse Grinder? I hacked up a keg with a $15 one once it takes a bit but works

Any old farmers round ya area who might take the top off it with a grinder for a few brews??

You could just bring it to my workshop tomorrow mate :o)

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #1003 by Dullahan Brewing
I went Irish on its arse Jamo :evil: Not pretty but its also not too bad, did not drift tto much while cutting. Had to use a big angel grinder with the big cutting disc which meant i had to free hand by sight, also because of rim around top of keg i had to cut at a 45 degree angle while trying to maintain as good a circle as possible.

Not finished as i must get a hand file and de burr the lid and keg rim :woohoo:
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Dullahan Brewing.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #1004 by Gash
good job mate!

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #1005 by Dullahan Brewing
Ant advice on how to proceed from here gash re what taps or false bottoms to get etc ?

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #1006 by Gash
Well, you dont need a false bottom that's for mash tuns.

You just need a tap with a run off tube attached and thats about it for a boil pot, if you want to use it as a HLT as well then you could add a site glass if wanted and a thermostat for temp control, or thermometer.

File Attachment:

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top