You are not logged in.

Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #420 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
Ya we have 240 volt here as well. I could order one off eBay from China for 14 euro but for 20 euro I would have one off amazon.co.UK faster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tiny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #472 by tiny
I have used the fish tank heaters and there not hard to use, a simple pice of glad wrap around the top to stop the croisen getting in is all u need.
Also I cut the lead and put some connectors so I could run it down the air lock hole.
This was was a very affective and cheep way to keep your brew warm in winter.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #473 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
Tiny m8 is that you? Yes i am looking into it, i am not 100% happy with the current fermwrap setup as its too delicate and does not solve my bottle conditioning problem long term. For 15-20 euro depending on where i get it its worth a lash anyway, they are double the price off the home brew shops online.

More
11 years 1 month ago #474 by Gash
Of course it will work, but can't really be used to help your carbonation, unless put your bottles in some water. I prefer a heating method outside of the fermenter just for ease of use. I'm also trained in electronics and won't tell anyone publicly to do there own wiring on either side of the socket. I think you can't go much cheaper then a light globe.... :lol:

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #475 by Dullahan Brewing
Indeed me lud, i was indeed thinking of doing a water bath for the bottles to carbonate but thats not practical long term either tbh. I was also thinking of a reptile heat lamp setup but am still trying to source a holder that will take those hot bulbs ;)

My biggest challenge here is maintaining a sufficient temp for both fermentation and for carbonation afterwards. I have decided that the fermwrap i currently have is not practical for either the fv or around 44 bottles so i am keeping it for wrapping my plastic demijohns when i am doing cider and wine.

I may splash out and get a brew belt as that seems to be what everybody uses on their fv's. The aquarium heater is also an option. A lot depends on what way the next couple of weeks go tbh. :woohoo:

More
11 years 1 month ago #477 by Gash
This is a set up I've been using for around 5 years now, Justa desk lamp and a normal light globe, I have to change the light bulb in winter maybe twice.. Some last all winter.. I keep going to change, but havent found the need yet.
File Attachment:

More
11 years 1 month ago #479 by Gash
Everyday normal incandescent light bulbs are getting hard to find , in Australia anyway. Lately I've been finding these do the job.
File Attachment:

I've heard of people painting them, or covering in a thin layer of Aluminium foil to stop the light getting to the beer. I just have mine pointed down and a piece of wood on the shelf under the fermenter, usually my fermenter is covered in an old shirt anyway.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #482 by Dullahan Brewing
And that setup keeps your wort temp up around 20 celsius? :blink: Had not thought of that but i have that spare fridge as i might have mentioned so its worth a lash. Will try it out tomorrow with a 23 litres of plain water going in at wort temp.

More
11 years 1 month ago #483 by Gash
without any problems at all!

More
11 years 1 month ago #484 by Gash
The old style light globes used to work better, cause they gave off more heat. But these halogen ones are ok too

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top