You are not logged in.

High Final Gravity

More
6 years 6 months ago #2653 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic High Final Gravity
Yep you should be doing starters for liquid yeast every time.

In brew bucket you could shoot some co2 up bottom tap very gently, thats what a brewery would do as a last resort, be very careful :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2655 by Gash
You gotta be careful beer dont enter you regulator and then careful you dont shoot the airlock into the ceiling, Youd need set very low but so it had pressure during the tap opening and during closing.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Gash.

More
6 years 6 months ago #2656 by Gash
Might be safer with a gentle stir this time, but something to think about for a future project if needed!

• Dredd
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2689 by Dredd
Replied by Dredd on topic High Final Gravity
Thanks - in the end I stirred it up and got the temp up to 18 degrees, but the FG didn't budge.

The beer is at 4.5%, it tastes OK, I kegged it tonight so will check on it in a couple of weeks. In general I've learnt that if it tastes good in the fermenter, it will be OK, if it doesn't then the chances of magic happening are slim.

I can only assume one or some of the following happened:

1. The mash was too hot (which I would accept as a root cause if I was around 1.015-1.016 based on the full body profile in Beersmith showing 1.014 for the same recipe)
2. The yeast got aggro with getting too cold and went on strike and felt there should have been more and given a starter
3. Shit happens and I have a beer that is a bit lighter ABV than expected, but if it it is drinkable, then not the worst outcome.

I guess my takeaways are
- Monitor mash temp a closer
- Make a yeast starter

Shame since a kit beer that is a bit off is only a small amount of time wasted, a mash is different.
This is my first mash beer though that has fallen short out of 10-ish batches so not too disappointed, probably a reality check as I was getting cocky! All my others including the other one I kegged tonight have ended up +/- .01 degree of Beersmith which isn't too bad for a relative mash beginner

regarding starters - are you just boiling a malt base in a flask, cooling, pitching 1-2 days before ferment? I've used some of the White Labs with just one vial and felt like I am skirting around a dud ferment, but have got away with it. This is the guide i'd most likely follow - beersmith.com/blog/2008/04/01/making-a-y...your-home-brew-beer/
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Dredd. Reason: update
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
6 years 6 months ago #2690 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic High Final Gravity
First off, great post. I think alot of brewers will relate to.
I also think youve come up with the answers to the questions in learning from our mistakes.And thats what allgrain homebrewing is all about. It takes time and practise to gather a load of infomation that mostly comes from going down the wrong track or missing something. Its all part of it. AND YES SHIT DOES HAPPEN.
1020 is high but not the end off the world. I mashed in too high a few years back and got stuck on 1036.
If you mashed at 73deg i would nt be surprised at 1020. If you havnt done it I would check you thermometer is reading correctly as I said last week mine was out by 4deg and resulted in 1020 as well. And that beer was very nice.
We cant be too hard on ourselves if it doesnt always go to plan, stick with all grain, its far more rewarding . One glitch in 10 is not bad at all.
As far as yeast goes I dont use liquid yeast, I just sprinkle dry or rehydrate and often wash and reuse.
I have heard and Gash would know , that liquid yeast can be inconsistant. Starters are recomended. So up to you.
Lastly ,Ive enjoyed this forum post, Excellent. I can highly recommend going onto youtube and checking out Gash Slugs tips in under five minutes, theres alot of ways to avoid these sorts of issues. Cheers and good luck

More
6 years 6 months ago #2692 by Gash
Yep sounds like you've answered most of the questions yourself, for a lager you have to pitch 3 or 4 packs of dry yeast especially if they aren't really fresh, so yep a starter is a great idea for lagers and usually a 3 or 4 litre starter is recommended and that is usually too big for most home brewers. I usually get away with a 2 litre one. I usually go about 1.5 litres for an ale.

For ales I'd make the starter and pitch the yeast 24-36 hours before the brew and pitch the whole starter.

For lagers since the starter is usually bigger an the flavours of the brew a more delicate you make the starter 5-7 days beforehand let it ferment out for a couple of days, this doesn't have to be at lager temps just around 18c is fine. Then a couple of days in the fridge so you can decant the liquid off the top and just add mostly yeast.

As far as making the starter, a flask and stir plate is what most end up with, but not essential, it can be in anything like a glass jar or saucepan, and just swirled every time you walk past or a couple of times a day. If you do get a flask get a proper one and then it wont break with the heating and cooling, beware cheap supermarket or Asian shop look alikes.

You can do the whole boil in the flask 10mins or so but be very very careful because they boil over in a flash and impossible to stop once you see it rising. Fermcap is good to help. What most people end up doing is doing the boil in a saucepan and transferring to the flask, which again is dangerous as the boiling wort can kick back, go slow.

Most starters are just light dry malt extract, water and maybe a touch of yeast nutrient. 100g/100ml.

My LHBS sell these handy little packs for lazy people haha but its 150g of LDME and a pinch of nutrient for a couple of dollars.

No need for airlocks etc I just put a bit of foil over the top, theory is a bit oxygen is ok as it helps the yeast propagate. Otherwise all the other cleanliness and sanitation practices are required.

Cheers mate!

More
6 years 5 months ago #2741 by Finnroo
Hello Dredd, I was wondering how the high gravity brew turned out in the end ?Have you tried it yet? Any thoughts one your next brew? CheersMate.

• Dredd
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #2758 by Dredd
Tapped the keg tonight. I've been away OS, so have left it carbonating/settling.
It turned out OK, perfectly drinkable with good bitterness and aroma. I am considering repeating the same recipe again, but with ale yeast instead of lager.
there was a carbonation snafu, but might star a separate thread (I carbonated 2 kegs using my normal process and came home to an empty 2.6 Kg CO2 cylinder which was new. Beer is carbonated and maintained pressure, I can only assume the leak was at the regulator fitting otherwise the kegs would not have maintained pressure. Annoying nonetheless. Better the 2.6 rather than my 6kg cylinder though)

More
6 years 5 months ago #2759 by Finnroo
Great news about the beer. Um whats a snafu?

• Dredd
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #2763 by Dredd
SNAFU - Situation Normal, All F--ked Up

things look right, but are not.

The beer is close to what I was aiming for, a big, hedonistic NZ Style citra hop bomb. I am thinking I either need a bit more Citra, or a supporting hop. Mosaic might be the hop I am looking for to amp it up a bit. The malt base is right and an ale yeast is probably a better fit.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top