You are not logged in.

Grain Mill Gap Size

• Withers
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2501 by Withers
Grain Mill Gap Size was created by Withers
Hi

i have recently bought a two roller grain mill (ebay special) with this in mind i was keen on knowing what everybody had their gap set at as i have read a lot of conflicting reviews (Credit cards, Guitar pick).

i am using the new Robobrew with built in pump and my last brew house efficiency was 55% ish as opposed to when i had grains milled at the brew shop where i had 82% ish.

Cheers
Wayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2502 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Grain Mill Gap Size
G'day Wayne, it is hard to give a definitive answer most will say about a credit card thickness, Im a baas player my picks would probably be ok too, the real answer it to look at your grain closely. I had mine set and it worked great for my pale/ale malts and crystal malts, but then when I added wheat and rye to some of my brews I lost eff and had to make the gap smaller. Running it all through mixed can be a bit of a stab in the dark so inspect what grains you are going to use, choose what looks like the smallest and adjust the mill so it cracks all the grain, then check it with some base malt just to make sure you havent gone too small and will pulverise everything. If you are a little worried grab some rice hulls and throw a handful or two into the milled grain while mashing in, just in case you've gone a little fine.

So basically grab some grain and have a muck around until you find its right for you and the grain you are using, you'll find once set you'll unlikely have to adjust again unless you get some thing very small.

Cheers mate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top