You are not logged in.

Water Prep

• Walruss
  • Topic Author
  • AKA RackOffBrewing
More
8 years 1 month ago #2012 by Walruss
Water Prep was created by Walruss
In a couple of weeks I hope to do my first All Grain in my new Grainfather, never done an all grain before.
I was given a Mangrove Jacks Jacked Up Pale Ale when I picked up the Grainfather from my HBS.
the recipe suggests to tip in the 10g of Calcium Sulphate supplied at the start of the mash, I'm assuming that's to get the pH down to around 5.2. Sunbury's water is around 6.8 - 7.2 unfiltered and around 8.2 filtered.
Does anyone here worry too much about pH levels when doing all grain.
cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #2014 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Water Prep
G'day! Ph is very important in AG. I have no idea about Mangrove Jacks kits, I've never seen them anywhere, it would be very hard to judge what to add to what water if its the same kit sent around the world. If the kit was made up by your LHBS then I guess they'd know what to add. Most Melbourne water is pretty good and for a pale ale not much is really needed, the Calcium Sulphate could be just left for the boil, it will bring the hop flavour up front, I'm guessing thats why its been added. My suggestion would be to add it to the boil, if added to the mash it could throw the pH out of whack. I wouldn't bother filtering your water unless you think you really need too. If you are brewing tomorrow you could fill a few buckets with water tonight for tomorrow, so any chlorine will be gone, alternatively you can add metabisulphite (about 8g per 40L) to get rid of chlorine immediately if you have any around.

The grain will change the the ph of the water itself, if you do want to check the pH and have an appropriate pH meter, test mash water about 10mins into the mash.

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walruss, Dredd

• Walruss
  • Topic Author
  • AKA RackOffBrewing
More
8 years 1 month ago #2017 by Walruss
Replied by Walruss on topic Water Prep
Thanks mate for the reply much appreciated.
The Kits are supplied by Grainfather, I think I'll do what you suggested and check the pH when the mash has started.

cheers

More
7 years 9 months ago #2149 by Dredd
Replied by Dredd on topic Water Prep

G'day! Ph is very important in AG.
The grain will change the the ph of the water itself, if you do want to check the pH and have an appropriate pH meter, test mash water about 10mins into the mash.

Cheers!

Ph isn't something I considered. Is this something to adjust in the mash stage? or in the initial water preparation?

Are you using Ph test strips?

Another variable to understand!

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #2150 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Water Prep
I do adjust my mash water before the mash, I search net for my local water profile and put the figures into a spreadsheet called EZwater, Brewers Friend also have an online one. But most of Australia town water doesn't need adjusting to get a good mash unless you use a lot of dark or other grains that can throw the ph out. The most important is whats happening during the mash, if I had a professional brewery trying to make money I'd get grains and mash water in but lower than mash temp so the mash isnt happening yet, leave it 10 mins and test then, make adjustments if needed, then ramp the temps to mash temps, this isnt easy at home depending on your system, and most dont bother checking unless things start to go wrong. So at home I'd mash in and check the ph at 10mins, strips can be used if they are good ones, but a proper ph meter is better, good ph meters are at least $80 usually more for entry level and must be looked after and used correctly which means calibrating every use. Its a easy once you get used to it, but can be a handleful so as I said most dont do it unless they are having issues. More then just ph adjusting salts can really help with cloning beers or beer styles as you can make the water the same as it is in Germany or UK so the beers are very close to what they should be. I use 4 different ones mostly.. epsom salts, gypsum (calcium sulphate) , bicarb and calcium chloride. Salts and pH are one of those things I wouldn't tell people to mess with until they have the basic practices down first, unless of course their water is causing them issues. You can start at simply adding some to the boil, if you want malts to shine through you can add a teaspoon of Calcium Chloride, if you want hops to shine you can add a teaspoon of Gypsum to the boil. Water is hard to discuss because its different for everyone unless your on the same supply.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Gash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: butto_son

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top