You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

struggling with the choices of single vessel system

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #3922 by BeerRay1986
hi all
I am new to cellardwellar my name is Ray and I have been into brewing now for about 5 years mainly doing extract and partial mash recipes to be honest I love all beer even an extract kit/kilo hahaha.
But i want to move up to All grain brewing and have watched a lot of videos of the Robobrew and Grainfather more recently the Guten. i watched the side by side comparison of the Robobrew and Grainfather and it didnt make the choice any easier.
Robobrew looks and seems the part for the price if I am honest but I am not all about price i want quality to. so if anyone has any good feedback on Robobrew/Grainfather/ Guten id be very interested and is it just me or does everyone dream of a 50ltr spiedel.....
cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #3923 by Cherry1
Hi Ray,
Can only comment on my experiences with Robobrew.
I had a 3 vessel I had made myself, but bought a Robobrew g3 as they are so cheap. Have put about 20 brews through through it. I had a problem with the circuit board sh!tting itself after a couple of months. Kee from Kegland replaced it without question. Only other issues have been of my own making. Quality, simplicity of use and cleaning are great. Capacity of one keg at a time is more than enough for me.
Still do not understand why these are called "single vessel" as you still need a HLT for the sparge, which is one of the 3 in a 3V system.
Cheers
Chris

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #3924 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic struggling with the choices of single vessel system
thanks very much for the response much appreciated

More
4 years 11 months ago #3925 by Gash
Really hard to make the choice, I've seen a few speidels go back as well. I've had no issues with robobrew, and seen plenty with the grainfather. It's just one of those things.. I prefer robobrew over guten due to a few small things, I just find the robobrew a little more robust with the mash pipe, and I couldnt take the lid of the guten easily with pump going, just small things. You should try and check them out yourself I guess, they all can have problems, I saw one guy send back two speidels, you just never know. Which ever you buy I think you need to buy from a good seller so if it does need to be returned or repaired it will be done quickly and easily. Cheers!

More
4 years 11 months ago #3926 by Finnroo
Hello Ray, Another choice is to make your own 3 vessel, gravity fed system.
Old school maybe but very efficient. I went with an electric 3000w water heating element and got a sparky to install and hook up to a control box. but a gas burner is another option. The pot size is 32 litre. A chilli bin mash tun using second hand copper pipes.
If your interested i can post some photos here. cheers and good luck.

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #3928 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic struggling with the choices of single vessel system
hey mate thanks for the reply i would love to make a 3 vessel system as i do a lot of stainless fabrication where i work but its just the space i have where i am now i only have a very small garage unfortunately. hopefully if we ever move to a bigger place my plan would be to build my own system and dedicated brewing area.
cheers

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #3942 by BeerRay1986
Hi gash thanks for the reply I am leaning towards the Robobrew now purely because of price and what your getting its pretty good. I follow you youtube channel (I assume its you lol) and you seem to have had great success with your robobrews few problems with increments but other than that I don't think you reported much bad news. That connect control box looks very cool on the grainfather though and I suppose using that would save me money purchasing brew software. I have beer smith on my phone but they cannot use that purchase to give you it on the computer which is a little weird. I have heard that Robobrew was going to have something similar in the months to come but that could just be all talk. I am going to go down to my LHBS and watch a demo that may help my choice because apart from the cost and a few features its too hard to split.
At least with the Robobrew if i don't like all grain brewing its not much of an outlay.
thanks for the reply but I fear I am more confused than ever LOL

More
4 years 11 months ago #3943 by Gash
The connect, doesnt mean you dont use brewing software, its for notifications to your phone or computer about temperatures during the brewing process, totally unnecessary in my opinion, none of these machines are walk away type brewing machines, always good to be near incase something goes wrong, just a fancy side thing. Cheers!

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #3944 by BeerRay1986
I have gone the Robobrew to good of a deal for what your getting, extras are very reasonably priced and I spoke with KegLand and they were very helpful. One day i will win lotto and I will buy a speidel. thanks for all the feed back now i just need a simple pale ale or pilsner recipe for my first brew

More
4 years 11 months ago #3947 by Finnroo
Hi Ray, awesome your about to do your first allgrain. Can i suggest that for your first brew you do a simplw SMaSH brew. ( single malt and single hop) 5kg of American pale malt and a 100g pack of say cascade pallet hops.
20g @60 minutes, 20g@ 20 minutes, 20g @10 min, 20g @ 5min. And 20g after 3 days in the fermenter as a dry hop.
packet of us 05 yeast.
Good luck and remember dont sweat the small stuff lol. Enjoy. Cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top