You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

Hey guys!

• bradobrew
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #3353 by bradobrew
Hey guys! was created by bradobrew
Hey all, Brad here from QLD. I'm an all grain brewer using the Grainfather system, I have a couple brews under my belt but nothing to be proud of yet, still working things out so not sure where i am going wrong yet. I love the proccess of brewing though so I am going to try to brew every 2nd weekend to try master it. Cheers all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #3354 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Hey guys!
Gday mate! Whats up with your beers? Cheers~!

• bradobrew
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #3355 by bradobrew
Replied by bradobrew on topic Hey guys!
My beers usually have a dull honey flavour and aroma, very noticable in the glass after the first few sips. Also a harsh bitterness at the back of the tongue

More
5 years 9 months ago #3356 by Gash
hmm honey, maybe buttery? Diacetyl?

• bradobrew
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #3357 by bradobrew
Replied by bradobrew on topic Hey guys!
Not buttery at all. I am thinking I havent been using enough hops because my IBU is always around 20. On Saturday I am going to try a pale ale with:
4.5kg Barrett Burston Pale Malt
500g Barrett Burston Medium Crystal

50g Cascade @ 60 mins
10g Cascade @ 20 mins
10g Cascade @ 10 mins
30g Cascade Dry hop for the last 3 days of fermentation

Which will be 43 IBU according to grainfather brew software. Everything is within range of the style (American Pale Ale) except the FG will be 1.008 because I will be using 2X Mangrove Jack's New World Strong Ale packets.

Wish me luck

More
5 years 9 months ago #3358 by Gash
Maybe the sweetness is coming from your crystal? Thats a fair amount. Its not too much, but it is a lot.

I'd also move the late hops along a bit maybe to 15mins and 5mins.

I dont add much before the last 10mins, I actually dont add any till 5mins max, usually just a big whirlpool steep these days.

If you have troubles with bitterness again, I'd drop the 60min ibus down and get a lot of the bitterness from the late hops and whirlpool.

If you're using a program try and check the IBU:SG or bitterness ratio too.

Good luck!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top