You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

Additions to the brew

More
5 years 11 months ago #3120 by Metal
Additions to the brew was created by Metal
Hey guys , does anyone have any suggestions as to when you should add something like chocolate or honey to a brew???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3121 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Additions to the brew
Hello Metal. I did some honey ales a few years ago and added the honey at 5 minutes and it came out very well . I think it was about 200 grams from memory. You can if your keen add it to secondary if you trust the honey product but I havnt done that myself.
Dont know about adding chocolate but i would add once again at the 5 minute mark of the boil.
Good luck cheers.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3127 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Additions to the brew
yeah 5mins at end of boil is good for most things, might sound silly, but depends what qualities you want from it, things like honey are usually very delicate and by the time its boiled and fermented you'll be lucky to taste anything, I know its very common these days to use honey but most of the time its just waste because all the flavour is gone. You do have to be careful with honey due to botulism, honey can carry botulism so don't use it in no chill brewing, would have to be very unlucky, but it could happen. Probably the best for honey is something like near the end of ferment, or secondary, I dont really think the secondary is required but some do use it.

Chocolate can be added 5mins out, but your best to use the highest quality and also the lowest in fat, pour off some boiling wort into a pot, stir in and melt the chocolate in that and then add it back to the boil. Otherwise just get some lactose, vanilla and cacao nibs and use them in a secondary or primary fermenter near the end of ferment, lactose can be added to the boil, but the others better off in fermenter and maybe soaked in a little vodka first.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3128 by Metal
Replied by Metal on topic Additions to the brew
Cheers for the info mate , brew day today for me, I ended up throwing in a 300gram packet of Anzac biscuits in 10 min to go in the boil!! Ha ha ha , how do ya reckon that'll go??, I usually do 2 brews in a day one after another but my gen 1 robo brew just shit itself I think, it tripping the circuit whenever I plug it in! I think I got it a bit wet when cleaning , cheers

More
5 years 11 months ago #3132 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Additions to the brew
I've never used biscuits but I know a lot of people do! Bugger about your robobrew mate, yeah let it dry out and see how it goes!

More
5 years 11 months ago #3134 by Metal
Replied by Metal on topic Additions to the brew
Ha ha ha ha, yeah I let it dry out and it was not tripping the circuit anymore but the LCD screen is illuminating but not showing any numbers !!!, I ended up copin a belt stuffing round with it this morning ha ha ha , I've emailed kegland about buying a gen 3 but they seem to be out of stock at the moment

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top