You are not logged in.

Cloudy brew

• chook79
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1724 by chook79
Cloudy brew was created by chook79
Put a brew of Morgans Blue Mountain down a couple of weeks ago using 12 grams of hop. Bubbled away OK for 4 or 5 days. Still very cloudy with lots of floaties. Any suggestions other than throwing away and starting again. Ta Railwayman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #1725 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Cloudy brew
Need some more info mate, is it bottled or still in the fermenter? Has it finished, did you take a reading? Usually kits are done in 2 weeks but that depends on what temperature it's been at etc. Cheers!

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #1726 by Gash
Not sure where your answer went , but I could read it in the email. 1004 well its definitely done! Dry hop will take a while to settle. I looked on Morgans site but it didn't seem to mention what yeast it was. At 1.004 it is ready to bottle, if you have access to a spare fridge you could cold crash it down to 2c and help clear it before bottling. Or you can just bottle and let it clear in the bottle. Or you can try using some gelatine to clear it, although it works better when the wort is cold it still works at room temps. If you want to know about gelatine let me know. Cheers

• chook79
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1728 by chook79
Replied by chook79 on topic Cloudy brew
Thanks
Any help will be appreciated. Can you let me have detail on using gelatine.
Ta

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #1732 by Gash
You need to sterilise some water, so just boil some water for 10mins and make sure you'll have about a cups left for when it cools, cover and let cool. You then need any food grade gelatine, not flavoured of course, just plain gelatine. You mix in about a teaspoons worth into the cup of water, you will then stir until it dissolves, usually it is necessary to heat in a mircowave, I do this in 10 second bursts, take it out and stir, put it back in for 10 secs take it out and stir, you don't want to boil it, but just warm it so the gelatine dissolves. Once its dissolved you just pour into the fermenter, a very gentle stir may help to distribute, but not entirely necessary, careful not to splash the wort around. In a day or two it should be much clearer! Cheers

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #1733 by Gash
I should mention you can get powdered gelatine at just about any supermarket, brew shops sell it too.

• chook79
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1734 by chook79
I'll give it a go And see what happens. If its no good then down the gurgler & i'll just have to have another go. I've got a few fermenters so its not holding me up.
Keep you posted on how I go cos if I throw it out that'll make 2 bad 4 good the other bad one I tried a second ferment and its been in stubbies for about 4 week. NO FIZ. Thanks again Railwayman

• chook79
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1739 by chook79
Went to town & got some gelatine this afternoon. Mixed as you said and tipped it in. Had a taste and it tastes OK. will give a couple of days and see what happens.
WILL LET YOU KNOW
Thanks again

• chook79
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #1754 by chook79
Put the gelatine in as you said , That was just over 3 weeks ago left it a couple of days then bottled. Tried one yesterday and it tastes ok. Thanks for your help.
Seeya

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #1755 by Gash
Gelatine wont affect flavour at all. Just help to clear. It isnt magic though, is something was wrong it wont help. I have an all grain here the same, cloudy, nothing has helped, something wrong somewhere, probably didn't let mine ferment out quite enough or something went wrong in the mash. Hard to tell some times! Most times gelatine will bring a beer crystal clear! Cheers mate!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top