Water Profile

• Cherry1
  • Cherry1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #3049 by Cherry1
Water Profile was created by Cherry1
Now I am 12 brews in, starting to make things more complicated.
Next brew will be a Marstons Pedigree clone, with the original being a Burton On Trent beer, I used Beersmith's water profile tool to work out what I need to add based on SA Water's average supply to me.
This is great for any specific regional type beers I might want to brew. But just on a general basis is there anything in the attached SA water profile that I should address for every beer I brew.
Everything I have brewed so far has been more than drinkable, but we all aim to improve, so any input would be appreciated.
Cheers
Chris
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #3051 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Water Profile
Sorry been without internet for most of the day, got some catching up to do! I'll try and take a look a little later, Cheers!

More
6 years 1 month ago #3052 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Water Profile
Hello, thats awesome your brews have been more than drinkable, well done. I have always said however that the only way to learn about brewing is to brew only one beer, and one adjustment at a time. And learn about your local water supply is handy you should be able to type in Adelaide water chem. So, sticking to your favourite brew and trying to work everything out as far as water chem, malts hops temps mash and everything takes alot of practice and adjustment. Its just my opinion but keep practicing on a brew until your friends say......MAAATE awesome. Small steps buddy. cheers brew on.

More
6 years 1 month ago #3058 by Gash
Ok. Although I've used Beersmith for years, I've never quite got my head around the water profile section, just me being lazy and using an old spreadsheet EZ_water. So I chucked your numbers in and your water is fairly good! I just did it on a base recipe of 5kg base malt and 200g crystal. I guessed the Mash water volume at 15L and sparge at 22L. I added some salts in the salt section just to get the mash ph in the ball park and the Chloride/Sulphate ratio in the middle, thats the bit you'd adjust either way for Hoppy or Malty beers. Not sure if any of this helps, but gives you some idea. Be interesting to see if beersmith is close to the same. Cheers!

Attachments:

More
6 years 1 month ago #3059 by Gash
Its really worth using a pH meter to check pH, well especially if you start having efficiency issues after adjustments.

• Cherry1
  • Cherry1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #3060 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic Water Profile
Thanks for the responses.
Will compare the EZ water calculator.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #3096 by Finnroo
Gash , how did you paste your EZ water calculator? I tried copy and paste.
www.ccc.govt.nz/services/water-and-drain...lity-and-monitoring/

www.ezwatercalculator.com/
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Finnroo.

More
6 years 1 month ago #3097 by Finnroo
So the chch water ph coming out of the tap at 19 degc has a ph of 7.5 today.
Boiled and cooded to 52degc had a ph of 9.2
cooled to 43degc had a ph of 9.3
and at 35 degc had a ph of 8.9
And at 31 degc ph was 9.1
So looking at the results I would say that post boil is at an average of 9.0 and i will take another reading after dinner and check.
So where im going with this experiment is if I preboil my water how do i know what salts have been disappated and what salts to replace if that makes sence. Best not to pre boil, but we are going to have our water chlorined soon for a while. At the end of the day it doesnt really matter i just really want to learn about this. I might go and anoy the local water board for info, hehe, cheers all if you can comment please do, its facinating. cheers.

More
6 years 1 month ago #3099 by Gash
Was a screen capture, saved the pic to my comp and uploaded it.
If you can leave it open in the HLT or whatever over night chlorine will disappear! lol
Or you can use some sodium metabisulphite probably a small teaspoon to a keg full 45L
Thats whats in campden tablets.
Gotta run pick up the girl from school!

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #3100 by Finnroo
No worries thanks for the reply, Im going to take a couple of days to ponder this experiment. cheers
And the next day water in the pot was 21deg and ph is 9.3
Tomorrow I will start adding some salts to see what happens to my ph.
Awesome.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Finnroo.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top