You are not logged in.

MEAD - traditional and strawberry

• d3vour3r
  • d3vour3r's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #3626 by d3vour3r
MEAD - traditional and strawberry was created by d3vour3r
Made 2 meads on the 27th Sep 18. 2x 5l batches in demijohns. thought Id make a post about it incase anyone has tips or wants to give it a go themselves.

Got 3kg of AB honey rainforest blend from their warehouse in capalaba QLD. basically its a nice raw honey not diluted with corn syrup or anything like that. Always use the rawest un touched honey you can find. if there are beekeepers in your area buy from them!

put 1.5kg honey into each of my demijohns, and topped upto 5L ish.

Batch 1 had OG of 1.095
Batch 2 had OG of 1.110

i think i had slightly diff water amounts. for water i used my tap water run through dual stage filter. no water additions.

Used Wyeast Dry Mead liquid #4632. 1 whole pack per batch which was overkill, but the yeast was 9 months old so the population would of been lower then fresh. Also added 1/2 teaspoon yeast nutrient to each batch.

fermented under the stairs which has a temp range of 20-24 deg.

Roughly a month later i racked into secondary both batches.

Batch 1 SG 1.002 - 12.5% abv
Batch 2 SG 1.010 - 13.6% abv

Batch 1 was fairly dry. I added 1kg of fresh strawberries to a 10L bucket and racked onto it. Hopefully adds some sweetness to round out the mead. I cut them up into quarters, put into a bowl, then filled with boiling water to just above the strawberries and let sit for 10mins. this should of sterilised the strawberries. I then poured the lot into the fermenter. racked the mead on top. Had a lovely pinkish red colour straight away.

Batch 2 was sweeter and i think will end up a nice traditional mead. Just transferred to another 5l demijohn to get off the leys/yeast
Both batches had a very alcoholy fume and flavour as well as the stinky foot smell. apparently this is normal for a young mead, as they still have 1-2 months to go before being good to drink.

I will bottle both meads in a months time and report back!
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by d3vour3r.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stimpygato

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #3630 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic MEAD - traditional and strawberry
Another great post, I have 3kg of honey in the garage for a mead, been sitting there near a year, lucky it doesnt go off much hahaha another on the to do list, interested to hear how they go!

• d3vour3r
  • d3vour3r's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago #3631 by d3vour3r
Replied by d3vour3r on topic MEAD - traditional and strawberry
Thanks Gash
Yeh thats the good thing about honey, even if it crystalises its still good, just warm it up and bit till its good to pour!
Mead interests me because you can play with different types of honey, and also make melomels or other spiced varieties fairly easily. Its nice and simple to make, and scratches my brewing itch without having to commit to a full brew day with beer.
I think the key thing to remember is that it takes a lot longer for it to come good, so patience is needed haha. Im hoping mine will be drinkable in a month and should be even better the longer i leave it!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top