You are not logged in.

Australian Lager ALL GRAIN

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #714 by
Lagers are the most popular beer in Australia, mainstream brewery wise. Here is a simple Australian style lager. One you might brew as a lawnmower ale, a special occasion for guests or for a first lager attempt. Believe it or not the dextrose really helps with the style, I would say it needs it.

4.5 kg (10 lb) 2-row/Pale Malt
500g (1.1 lb) Dextrose (60 mins)
20g (0.7 oz) Pride of Ringwood Hops (60 mins)
Lager Yeast

Mash @ 65c (149F) for 60 mins
Boil for 65 mins adding the Dextrose and Hops after 5 mins.
Irish moss can be added 5 mins before the end.
When wort has cooled to around 19c (66F) yeast can be pitched.
Ferment at 15c (59F) for 10 days then raise temp a couple of degrees for a couple more days until complete
Keg or bottle then lager for at least 14 days at 1c-3c (33F-37F)

Cheerz!
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Gash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crank
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #715 by crank
Replied by crank on topic Australian Lager ALL GRAIN
Can you please tell me the difference between an Ale and a Lager.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #716 by
Replied by on topic Australian Lager ALL GRAIN
Ale - Mainly made in the UK and Ireland. Flavours come from well modified and biscuity flavoured malts which are sometimes highly coloured, sometimes very bitter and uses a top fermenting yeast. Ales come in various forms bitters, pales and mild beers.

Lager - Biggest proportion of beer sold. Has a delicate flavour which comes from relatively under-modified and lightly kilned malt, has a relatively low bitterness, uses a bottom fermenting yeast and a cold maturation.

Basically its a different yeast and lagers should be 'lagered' which is stored at a low temperature for a period of time after fermentation.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #717 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Australian Lager ALL GRAIN
Ya but Gash am i correct in thinking that if bottling particularily that lagers take like six months to come right? I have a coopers european lager bottled and after a month it still smells slightly of sulphites.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #718 by
I think that making a truely clean lager is very hard using the extract cans, in fact I don't even try anymore , maybe that's just my lack of patience. The temperatures are very very important brew low and store low, same as the recipe above, use a lager yeast and brew 2 around 12c-15c , then after bottling store cold for a few weeks. They can then be removed from the fridge if need be, but don't let them ever get too warm, they would benefit from staying in there. It's possible your beer will benefit from six months storage but usually after maybe 3 months a light beer like lager isnt going to improve much more unless you over bittered slightly, but there are exceptions to the rules! Just out of interest what did you use for sanitation?

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #719 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Australian Lager ALL GRAIN
Sanitation whats that? :ohmy: No but seriously i used Starsan made as per instructions on bottle. I dont think its an infection if thats what you mean? I have only notived the eggy smell while i was bottling from secondary and when i cracked one bottle the other week. It was a donated kit anyway so who knows.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #720 by
No, I was wondering if you had used sulphite for sanitation, sometimes if not drained properly can add that taste.

• crank
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #721 by crank
Replied by crank on topic Australian Lager ALL GRAIN
Thank you very much for clearing that up RE:difference between an Ale and a Lager.

I quite often hear English people scoff at Australian beer producers labeling a particular brew a 'Lager'. From the information you have provided I now think the confusion may be more related to an IPA verses larger, what are your thoughts and has anyone else had this discussion/debate at their local?.

Education is a great thing, keep the good work up.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2499 by Viviers
Replied by Viviers on topic Australian Lager ALL GRAIN
Hi Gash , what is the mash volumes of this recipe? Also the boil and post boil volumes ? Cheers

More
6 years 9 months ago #2513 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Australian Lager ALL GRAIN
Sorry, I missed this question! Thats depends on your system really, I don't know what you are using. Cheers mate!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top