Coopers NEIPA

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #5429 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers NEIPA
You would hope so, it shouldn’t be bitter if you weren’t boiling and dropped the temp a touch when you added the hops, and then cooled it with cold water. It could very well be hop matter you’re tasting, cold crash well, give it a few days and when transfer don’t pick up the junk from the bottom of the fermenter, leave some behind. Cheers!
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Gash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #5434 by Mstan87
Replied by Mstan87 on topic Coopers NEIPA
Beats me! Not sure what could have caused it, I put a L of cool water to drop the temp to 80c for the hop addition. I tested my tap water tonight and it's around pH 7.5 the beer tests at pH 5.2. I didn't do any water adjustment so I wonder if maybe being too high caused the bitterness

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 8 months ago #5435 by Gash
Yeah it doesnt make sense, thats why I can only think thats very fine hop matter that will hopefully eventually settle out

More
2 years 6 months ago #5498 by the bad shepherd
Replied by the bad shepherd on topic Coopers NEIPA
Have had this in the fermenter for just over 24 hours. Used 40g Simcoe, 40g Galaxy and 40g Cascade for the steep. Have 60g of each of those hops left. Should I do 30g of each of those on day 3 and then the same again a couple of days later or is that too much? I will cold crash and then bottle straight from the fermenter. Cheers

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 6 months ago #5499 by Gash
Yep sounds good, cold crash for a couple of days to drop out the hops. Bottle extremely carefully, its not really recommended to bottle an neipa, but just be very careful, no splashing, no shaking etc

More
2 years 6 months ago #5500 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Coopers NEIPA
Hello Bad Shephard hope its going well. I don't know if you have temp control but doesn't matter. If you want to use 60 gms of each then I would do it all at 3 days. Or 30 of each at 3 days and leave it at that. Then, if you have temp control push the temp up 2 to 3 deg for D rest until finished.
Sometimes adding hops late can cause unfermented sugars to converted and start more fermentation resulting in Diacetyl. By adding hops around the 3 day mark any extra fermentation and resulting diacetyl will be cleaned up at day 4 when you increase the temp for the diacetyl rest.
This is my understanding so take out of it as you will. Hope it makes a bit of sense. This process is called hop creep. If you dont have temp control then you cant do much about it .
Good luck and I hope it goes well. Cheers.

More
2 years 6 months ago #5501 by Finnroo
Haha Gash you must have replied same time as me. What are your thoughts on hop creep.? cheers

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #5502 by the bad shepherd
Replied by the bad shepherd on topic Coopers NEIPA
Thanks Gash and Finnroo. I realise that bottling an NEIPA is not ideal but it's the only option that I have at the moment. Will just have to consume quickly once they are carbonated! Unfortunately I don't have a temperature controller either, just using a heat belt at the moment and adjusting / turning off when I need to. Again, not ideal but all I have currently. Might just do one big dry hop on day 3 then. Have done late dry hops on my last couple of Pale Ale's without issue but were only 50g. Thanks again for getting back to me. Stumbled across your YouTube a while ago and learning heaps!
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by the bad shepherd.

More
2 years 6 months ago #5503 by Finnroo
And that's more than fine mate. We go with what we ve got. Enjoy you brewing cheers and im keen to hear how you get on with the tasting. awesome cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top