You are not logged in.

Coopers NEIPA

More
3 years 11 months ago #4537 by Serindipaty
Replied by Serindipaty on topic Coopers NEIPA
Hi Finroo,
Notes are:
Day 1 Brewday - hops in as per recipe
Day 3 when krausen had formed a big thick coat added half hops again.
Day 10 krausen had dropped took gravity reading of 1.015
Day 14 gravity still 1.015 so figured close enough hopefully to ferment being done... added second batch of dry hops
Day 15 - Today - The thick layer of hops or possible new krausen has appeared.... haven't taken a gravity reading though... so not sure if actually fermenting or residual gas just helping it all float a bit.

It still all looks good so no concerns there, just interesting is all. I'm considering if it's not dropped in a few days... perhaps bottling half and bottling the second half when it drops and clears up... not sure if that's a smart thing to do as risk more exposure etc... but kind of would be interested in the difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #4538 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Coopers NEIPA
So, I would take another FG reading and bottle. I have a brew in the shed thats done but sometimes still bubbles. I will take another reading today .
Had a late night last night with Gash on his Video cast thing so i wont be kegging today Lol.
But the only way to know if your brew has stopped fermenting is by taking another reading. Yeast are funny critters. Dont worry about the Krausen sometimes it just wants to float and I dont know why. Cheers mate. It will be awesome.

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 11 months ago #4540 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers NEIPA
Its just the hops, they up the wort, nucleation points etc.. this is where cold crashing will drop it out fast, 2 or 3 days, Cheers!~

More
3 years 11 months ago #4550 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Coopers NEIPA
Nice one, cheers

More
3 years 10 months ago #4560 by Madiman
Replied by Madiman on topic Coopers NEIPA
Hi Gash - New to your site - But its great full of Good info.
Re your NEIPA above - Dec 2017 - Grains with Coopers P. Ale.

the hops are added - when ? - 15 min before end of steep, not in Boil?
Dry hopping with the above mentioned, Citra , Galaxy , Centennial, is when 3 days in to the ferment ? when - Sorry - new at this. - same quantities 40g, 40g and 20g. ? Thanks - Tim

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 10 months ago #4561 by Gash
At the end of the boil
Probably best to watch the video if you havent seen it.
yeah you dry hop early in the ferment, about day 3, then again once ferment is just about finished, usually day 7 or 8.
The dry hop can be the same hops yes, and the same amounts, its up to you, but more hops in a neipa is good, just gotta watch your fermenter type and how much hop you can use before its just going to be coming out the tap. You can split the 40/40/20 in two if you like and use that or go whole hog and use that amount each dry hop.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #4562 by Madiman
Thanks for the reply - yes I have seen the video, but watched again tonight. I'm a beginner with these ingredients so forgive the questions.
Some questions. You show only adding hops at the end of boil, and after 3 days, not 3 times. What flavour does the 3rd lot add,after 7 - 8 days ? Much difference in what part of the flavour.?
My concern is over bitterness, so is twice sufficient to achieve a nice fruity taste ?
1. What difference in taste would occur if you used Cascade instead of Centennial. More fruity or more bitter.
2. By using a Hop Bag does this effect the flavour from just throwing in as you did- is the end result noticeable.
Thanks Gash, appreciate your advice. I'm learning as I brew. Tim
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Madiman. Reason: wrong spelling

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 10 months ago #4563 by Gash
Ok. Sometimes I do a one dry neipa, sometimes I do a two hop, it kind of depends on how fast the yeast is working, if its going well and fast the often isnt much time for two dry hops.
In regards to bitterness you wont get any real bitterness from dry hops, only chance there is if you get hop matter into the final beer which we try to avoid, and what is sometimes called perceived bitterness, but the amounts we are talking here that shouldnt be a problem.
Cascade instead of centennial will be fine, its a little less "powerful" but just as tasty and just as aromatic, some would say its a better choice for dry hop.

My suggestion would be, since you're worried about the amount of hop debris would be to add the first dry hop when you pitch the yeast, so maybe 20g each of citra/cascade/galaxy.
I would pitch two packs of yeast if you can.
Follow the ferment, keep an eye on it. When you see the krausen (foam on top) drop down, it maybe 5cm thick after the first 2 or 3 Days, when you notice it drop too about <5mm thick, often day 5 or 6 then dry hop the second time., 20g each of citra/cascade/galaxy. or if taking readings once it gets to about 1.018, at that time you raise the temperature of the ferment if possible a couple of degrees and the beer should be done in 3 or 4 days.
Do not let an NEIPA sit for 2 or 3 weeks in the fermenter. It shouldnt take that long, healthy yeast pitch.
Then be extremely careful with bottling or kegging, no bulk priming, no shaking bottles, avoid oxygen at all costs. Plastic bottles are the best for neipa, two carb drops, squeeze air out and cap. Drink ASAP as soon as the bottles feel very hard, maybe a week, maybe 2, stick one in the fridge and try it. This is not a beer to age. NEIPA is one hard beer to get right! Keep the faith though :)
I think thats it!
Keep asking questions if I've missed something, Cheers!

More
3 years 10 months ago #4564 by JayG
Replied by JayG on topic Coopers NEIPA
Just kegged the neipa as per the video and tasted very nice. Thanks for all your tips in your videos and on here.
It might be slightly bitter then I prefer but still very nice.
Is something I could add or change to make it less bitter?

More
3 years 10 months ago #4565 by Madiman
Thanks Gash, - I actually Keg my beers, and seeing your method on video using a brew bag, great Idea.
QUESTION - from my previous, can you tell me which of those hops you used on the NEIPA - are the bitterness hops. Which ones .
I know that Galaxy ( Like Stone & Wood ) give that floral fruitiness taste, but Citra , Centennial, cascade - which ones of these are fruity and which ones are bitter. I think you get my drift. Cheers. Tim

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top