You are not logged in.

The Ginger Bomb (My SJPorr Challenge 2014 entry)

• RookieBrew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #1584 by RookieBrew
My SJPorr Challenge entry for 2014. Was going for a nice light summer honey ginger beer.

Ingredients:
1 x 1kg Gladfields Light Lager Malt Grains EBC: 2.9
1 x Can (1.6kg) Black Rock Ultra Light Unhopped Extract Colour 6 EBC.
1st Hop Edition was approx 60g of Watatu Hops (At Boil)
1 Teaspoon of Irish Moss @ 15min to go
2nd Hop Edition was approx 60g of Watatu Hops (At 5 mins to go)
1 x 1kg Honey( I used honey dew)
300 ml Ginger JuiceUS-05 Yeast

Add approx 3 liters of hot water at approx 80°C to Pot(at least 8 liter size), then in a grain bag add the 1kg of grains hopefully you get a temperature of 67°C for Mashing, if not add hot or cold until you do then mash for 1-1.5 hours, Then pull out grain bag and put a colander on pot and sparge with about 2 liters of 76°C over the grain bag, Then add approx ¼ can of Malt extract and bring to boil.At start of boil add 60g of Wakatu Hops(30min) then at 15 minutes add Irish moss or clearing agent, then at 5 minutes add the 300mLs ginger juice (ginger root juiced in a juicer) also the final Hop edition 60g of Wakatu hops. Then after 5 minutes at flame out add the rest of ingredients the honey and malt extract. Let it all settle and whirl pool 15 - 20 minutes the syphon into fermenter. Top up fermenter with cold water stored in refrigerator to about 20 liters and check temperature and top up to 23 liters with hot or cold water to you get about 20°C and pitch the US05 yeast. Leave it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks and bottle or keg.

I bottle conditioned mine priming it with honey at 3.5mL per 500mL bottles and was over primed so if you want to try that maybe use 2.5mL per bottle, I just softened it in the jar in a pot of hot water and syringed it into bottles with a childs medicine syringe.

Note: I only done a half hour boil when it could of been 90mins Had a couple of notes about DMS and canned corn aroma and flavour. Also had notes about needing more malt character....but my aim was to create a light colored refreshing summer beer. Cheers!

Heres a link to my video on youtube how I brewed it:
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by RookieBrew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #1585 by Gash
Cool thanks for that!

• RookieBrew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #1586 by RookieBrew
Replied by RookieBrew on topic The Ginger Bomb (My SJPorr Challenge 2014 entry)
No worries Gash, It is surely a unique brew. Cheers!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top