You are not logged in.

Beer smith and no chill

More
4 years 10 months ago #3991 by Metal
Beer smith and no chill was created by Metal
Hi all , when I brew I make no chill, and I’m also a new user to BeerSmith, so now when I brew I generally delay my hop additions by 20 min so for example if I wanted to add a 60min hop addition for bittering I’d would add it at 40min (cos of the extra cool down time) and a 30min addition would go in at 10min, so my questions are firstly is that a pretty good timing change for no chill?? And secondly when I make a recipe on BeerSmith should I just type in my no chill 40min addition as 60min ?? Cos other wise I’m thinking the ibu’s will be all mucked up, or is there a way to set it to no chill on BeerSmith???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #3992 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Beer smith and no chill
I would just leave your 60 where it is, makes an easier brew day, the difference between 40min and 60min boil is so small , no one could taste the difference.

I dont know about your 30min adds, I guess 10min will do, 30min adds are really waste of time, it'll just all end up bitterness and virtually no flavour, was taught in beer college not to bother with 30min adds, waste of money, getting off track lol

In the equipment profile of your system, set the whirlpool time to 300min or so, because that cube will stay hot for several hours.

I do my no chills with a 60min add, just small maybe 10g of warrior or magnum. Then either a 1 or 2 minute add of anywhere between 40g and 120g of hops, then at end of boil go into cube. Or I do about the same amount hop of hops at end of boil, stir or whirlpool a bit then let steep for 15mins or so, then into cube.

Then I'll usually dry hop.

Exactly like I did in the Maiden Voyage Pale Ale in the brewzilla, that was double batch though. I've been using that method for years, works for me. Probably the same in the No Chill Hoppy Pale I did.

Let me know if you want more info, Cheers mate!

More
4 years 10 months ago #3993 by Gash
I understand what you're saying about shifting things 20mins, its what everyone says, and what even I used to say before I no chilled much, but I found in practice things a little different, and I don't like cube hopping like people say either, makes it messy and you have those hops in the brew the whole time. Think I no chilled all but 2 or 3 batches last year! Cheers!

More
4 years 9 months ago #4065 by Paddybrew
Replied by Paddybrew on topic Beer smith and no chill
Hey Gash, just in regards to the no chill i will be doing this weekend for the first time. Im doing a Mosaic/Citra IPA. Hop additions are (currently) :
25 g Mosaic 60 mins - 31.3 IBU's
20 g Mosaic 20 mins - 18.3 IBU's
50 gms Citra and 25 gms Mosaic at flameout for 10 mins .
Hops will be in a spider or a bag and removed and then the wort transferred to the cube
Will my large flameout additions add excessive bitterness
Beersmith states IBU's from whirlpool for 10 minutes at 90 degrees will be 10.9 and 5.5 IBU's

If going from the above, i insert 300 minutes into BeerSmith my IBU's are 33 and 17. Yikes .

More
4 years 9 months ago #4068 by Gash
the mosaic at 20mins is an issue. Its a waste of time since it will be all bitterness and no flavour. You could move it to maybe 5mins, but my suggestion would be just to add them to the whirlpool/flameout. I'd put them all in at flameout and give it a good stir, and let sit the 10mins.
If you think the bag will restrict the stir too much, you could add them all in the bag and add for the last minute of boil just too make sure they get a good mix up in the wort, turn off heat and let sit the 10mins.
Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paddybrew

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top