You are not logged in.

Cold Steep

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #3140 by MTbottle
Cold Steep was created by MTbottle
Just watched your video ...... funny, I was just reading about that a few days ago, becuz I'm planning a brew next week. I don't know if you get BYO down there, but the March-April 2017 BYO (Brew Your Own magazine) has a good article about cold-steeping the specialty grains. It says that cold steeping doesn't have much to add in the way of extract efficiency, but you get reduced astringency (tannin extraction), increased flavor, color, free-amino nitrogen and aroma. It also says that the dark-roasted grains don't contribute significant amounts of fermentable sugars to a mash, so that's another good reason for cold steeping the dark grains to extract the color, aroma, etc., Of course the specialty grains, i.e. Vienna, Caramel, Crystal, Munich, Biscuit, etc. do add fermentable sugars to the mash, so it says that you also can then add all of the cold steeped grains to the conventional mash to recover any fermentable sugars that didn't come out during the cold steep, but the largest portion of the color, aroma etc., will already have been extracted from the darker grains. Then you would add this cold steep 'wort' near the last part of the boil to sanitize it.

Now that I have used up the fair-use doctrine to summarize that article, I have a couple of questions for you.
1.) Why is cold-steep only used in reference to extract brewing?
2.) Is there some reason why it couldn't be used for an all grain brew?

It seems to me that if you steeped the darker/specialty grains overnite, and sparged them with a liter or so of hot water as you did in your video, and then added them to the mash, they wouldn't lose much in the way of color, flavor, and aroma to the base malt during the mash. This would seem to me to be a good thing, especially if you were making a dark beer, because the color/aroma/F-an/flavor wouldn't be shared with the base malt, it would be in the first runnings/sparge of the cold steep, thereby adding more color to the final wort. It would seem to me that rather than leaving the spent base malt grains with a lot of the color, flavor, aroma, these should have been imparted to the wort rather than spent grains for the chickens/chooks, and it will now be added toward the end of the boil, keeping the color,flavor, and aroma for the final wort. Unless I am told that this is somehow a bad idea, I plan to test this theory soon with a 1 or 2 gallon all-grain brew, just to see if it works out the way I think it might. Hopefully, I have worded this correctly so that it is understandable, and not confusing. My swmbo tells me that I'm not a great communicator, so I'll take her word for it!

If these are wrong assumptions, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me why I'm wrong. You're more of a brewer than I am, I just brew for the beer, and not all of the fancy stuff. After smoking and french inhaling over the years as well as some of the odorous jobs I've held, I don't have good sense of taste or smell - my wife tells me when there's a strange smell in the house or car and then I search for the culprit!
TIA
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by MTbottle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3141 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Cold Steep
You're exactly right, thats how I learnt about them years ago for steeping dark grains to add to your runnings, mash or boil, so you get the benefits without so much astringency! I just did for an extract because I happened to be doing one at the time. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MTbottle

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 week ago #3150 by MTbottle
Replied by MTbottle on topic Cold Steep
Thanks Gash!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top