You are not logged in.

Biggie juice

• Johno
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #2698 by Johno
Replied by Johno on topic Biggie juice
Good one mate. I hope you have a easy day putting it in the fermenterror tomorrow. Rolled oats should be good for mouthfeel and lots of other neipa seem to have a bit included. There is a dude on the robo brew face book group who is having some fun with neipa too. The original biggie juice is at the brewery only. They say it doesn't travel or maybe keep to well . I think it is about the late hop addition.
Good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2700 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Biggie juice
ITs 3.30 pm and shes down. Brew day was awesome and Im totally shattered. Having an ale.
So mash went well, preheated my mash tun, Grains were stored over night in the fermenting fridge at 19degC
Strike temp was 72degC mashed in at 67.8deg. I was happy with that, Im not loosing much temp on strike to mash bacause of stirring strike water until temp stabllizers( cant spell when im fatiqued) preheating tun etc.and the weathers getting warmer. I like 66degC but Im more than happy. Mash was 2 hours.( had to go out and get dog meat and a half G of Wigram APA)
Vorloff 3 litres and sparged at 73degC nice and slow.
My mate Baza turned up with vintage portable record player and a box of 45 s. So cool.
Added first hops at first wort runnings
Wort came to the boil quickly and continued for an hour before I started adding insane amounts of hops.
Cool down was fast until about 30degC when the water temp wasnt cold enough to bring it down , however I cntinued until 24degC and then syphoned into ferment bucket adding 2 packets of rehydrated yeast.
I would normally get 21 Litres of fermentable wort but I ended up with 17. That makes sense with all the hops in the bottom, about 3 litres and all that mash would easily be a litre lost.
I dont adjust I just do.
OG was an awesome 1066, predicted was 1062. Colour is a bit pale coming out of the boil pot but thats because im viewing it through a narrow hose and its merky. cloudy as, well you know.
So it was an outstanding day . Thanks Johnno for planting the seed and info and thanks Gash for you imput.
One thing I need to do next time is set up an ice bucket to run the chiller through just to get that water temp down, maybe buy some more hose and coil it up through a large bucket should work well.
Well all looks good and going to plan, we will see, Im going for a sleep. Cheers ,Out there brewing it.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Finnroo.

More
6 years 6 months ago #2704 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Biggie juice
Sounds like everything went just great! Bloody tiring isnt it hahaha Cheers mate!

More
6 years 6 months ago #2705 by Finnroo
yep, niceone Gash , im spent , will check in tommorrow. cheers

• Johno
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #2706 by Johno
Yeah good effort Looking forward to hearing how it tastes. The waiting begins........

More
6 years 6 months ago #2707 by Finnroo
Went out to check the fermenter this morning at 8a.m.and its going nuts. And the smell, wow. I had set the temp at 20degC and its stable at 20degC . Its been a while since ive seen the fermentation so extremely vigorous. My fridge is set up with the prob hrd up to the bucket under a piece of taped foam. Its great, even though the yeast is so active the fridge is keeping it under control. Just another Gash tip in under 5Mins. Brilliant, out there brewing it. Cheers.:)

More
6 years 5 months ago #2716 by Finnroo
Ok Just an update on Juicy Lucy, Ive just dry hopped with all remaining hops about 135 gms.
Fermentation is down to predicted 1015. I had a wee taste and at this stage its quite dry and a bit bitter, also very cloudy as expected. I always leave my beers for a full 10 days so I will do the same with this.
So far so good. Cheers.:cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johno

More
6 years 5 months ago #2726 by Finnroo
So Day eight up date.just taken a Hydrometer reading and its gone down further to 1012.
I expected it would, the brew mate forcast was 1015.
I thought that may be the wheat malt might have a higher finish but I guess not.
Taste is more rounder now and the bitterness is receeding though still a bit of a dry finish which I think will dissapate during the bottle conditioning.
To be totally honest Im not a 100% sure its too much different from before I dry hopped ,however time will tell. I have to say its shapeing into a very nice drop indeed.
This may or may not be a silly question , Any point in cold crashing this.?
I think it may help with the overall finish of the beer. Any comments welcome, cheers all have a good weekend.

• Johno
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #2731 by Johno
I think you should cold crash but dont add any clarification agent. Less yeast to transfer to your bottles or keg but the hazy colour will remain.
My 2 cents anyway
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
6 years 5 months ago #2732 by Finnroo
Thanks for that Johnno were on the same page , Ill drop the temp down to 2degC on Sunday and bottle on Tuesday.
Ive just had a sniff of the sample in the hydrometer glass tube and wow yep juicey fruit asunder.
Yesterday I was nt sure, but yep shes a monster. Very cool cheers.:cheer:

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top