You are not logged in.

When is it best to add Dextrose?

• Deejay
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 10 months ago #5605 by Deejay
When is it best to add Dextrose? was created by Deejay
Hi guys,
had a few brews where I have missed the OG and been a way low, not sure why, I cant seem to get consistency with the brewzilla,  I feel like i'm doing everything right, had good consistency when doing brew in a bag.
anyway my question is if I want to bump it up with dextrose, when is it best to add? 
I can probable work out how much to add by adjusting my recipe on the day if needed.
cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5606 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic When is it best to add Dextrose?
Sorry to hear your having trouble with you consistency. You can add the dextrose at 15 minutes. Maybe mix it up first with a little boiling water in a pot before adding. You could add any time really but I would go at 15 just incase of any contaminants(unlikely)
As far as low OG issues go its often a good idea to stir up your mash before mashing out. Sometimes we get like gullies forming in the mash where the sparge water run in little rivers missing some of the sugars. You could even stir up the mash half way through the mash as well.. Also make sure your sparge water is raining down evenly across the top of your grain bed with a half an inch or so water level sitting on top of the grain. Youve probably seen this video but il post it incase. Cheers

• Deejay
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 10 months ago #5607 by Deejay
Replied by Deejay on topic When is it best to add Dextrose?
Hi Finnroo,
I usually give the mash a couple of stirs, not so much before mash out though so will try that next time. I sparge through a watering can nozzle off the HLT which pours on fairly thick but not like in the video you posted and I don't use the top screen. I think part of my issues are still with the grain crush, I brought myself a new Malt Muncher 3 roller but finding on widest gap setting it still over crushes the grain so I find I have to wet condition to stop the grain from being pulverised as I cant set the gap any wider which is a pain. Done 3 or 4 batches now with mixed results.
Other option is I crush dry and have a finer crush.
Still experimenting, cheers.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5608 by Finnroo
Sounds like youve got your sparging down ok. I wish i could be more help . I dont have a mill crusher but ive watched a few videos today and you might get something out of this video. You say that the crush is too fine on the largest gap setting. Have a look a the video where he show the bottom roller going forward and back ,there may be an issue there. Having said that you would think the very fine crush would give a higher efficiency however if the dust is clumping in the mash that may cause the sparge water to run unevenly through the mash and collecting less sugar. like compacting.
Im sure youll get it sorted and sorry i cant be more help. Let us know how you go, im interested to find out. Cheers

• Deejay
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 10 months ago #5609 by Deejay
Replied by Deejay on topic When is it best to add Dextrose?
When I say fine, it is finer than I would like for all grain without using a bag.
I know it is set to max gap as I've watched all the Gash vids and others on how to set the mill correctly.
He has the same grain mill but looking at his video on grain crushing mine definitely looks finer when on max gap.
Bit disappointing really as I thought I would have more adjustment than just setting it to max gap.
Im thinking I will wet condition then put it through twice as once looked good but may not have been enough.
will keep you posted.
cheers

More
1 year 10 months ago #5610 by Finnroo
cheers mate, go well.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top