Pitching Yeast Warm

• Carrobrew
  • Carrobrew's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4885 by Carrobrew
Pitching Yeast Warm was created by Carrobrew
Hey all,

Happy Monday :(

Wondering what your thoughts were on pitching yeast warm.

Nothing crazy just 2 or 3 degrees higher than target ferm temp.

I have read a lot of conflicting info. Some sources say you should pitch low and bring up to your target temp others say pitching a bit high is good, gives the yeast a kick start during multiplication phase as long as you get down to your target temp quickly. Even a Brulosophy article where they test (I know it's not really very scientific and I take with a grain of salt but is another data point/opinion if nothing else)

Perceived benefits for pitching warm are reduced lag time and help during multiplication phase. Cons are there is a possibility of stressing the yeast and creating some off flavours.

I brewed an Amber ale on Saturday (SG 1.058) and pitched 2 packs US05, currently using the stainless chiller that comes with brewzilla and knocked the heat down to about 25c. Took ages so fridge took it down to about 23.5 which is where I pitched my yeast. Had it down to 19 in about 3 hours, was under 22 within an hour. 19hrs later the Krausen was covering the surface and now another 24 hours on and is fermenting like a champ. Will those 3 hrs cause any off flavours?

What are your thoughts on my process?

Do you pitch warm, low or at target temp? Why?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4888 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Pitching Yeast Warm
What you did is probably near perfect for dry yeast, as long as it wasn’t straight out of the fridge, pull it out beginning of brew day let it warm up to room temp. When pitching dry safale yeasts it’s recommended by Safale to pitch over 20c and bring down in a few hours. I don’t really care which expert says what about this, just 2 things, it works very well for me but mainly the yeast manufacturer recommends it. Cheers!
Oh and the temp is ok if rehydrating they recommend 30ish something so no damage done. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrobrew

More
3 years 8 months ago #4889 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Pitching Yeast Warm
Got the details here
www.cellardweller.net/index.php/en/yeast...le-yeast-rehydration
Plus they say no need for rehydrating these days

More
3 years 8 months ago #4890 by Gash

• Carrobrew
  • Carrobrew's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4891 by Carrobrew
Replied by Carrobrew on topic Pitching Yeast Warm
Yeah yeast had been sitting at room temp most of the day so was warmed up. Didn't re-hydrate or make a starter, just sprinkled on top.

Great to get validation of what I have been doing. The yeast seemed to like it anyways. Is going nuts. :D

Did the same with the last batch and tasted amazing out of primary, no off flavours I could detect, is carbing in bottles now but going to sample some on friday as is already showing signs of carbonation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top