You are not logged in.

Fermentation Temperature Control

• amistad2
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #4781 by amistad2
Fermentation Temperature Control was created by amistad2
Hi Guys,

Just did a first brew yesterday (16/07) in a Guten 40L of Gash's Robobrew Pale Ale. Final OG was 1.045, a bit lower than the expected 1.050 but still workable I reckon.

The problem comes in the fermenting fridge, I expected to use a small bar fridge at its lowest setting, but the ambient temp of the fridge interior dropped more than I expected to 9C, way lower than the 19C target. To fix this I suppose the option is to leave it inside the fridge turned off hoping for the ambient Melbourne winter temp to cool it (outside temp goes at 7-14 in my area) or to buy a Temp controller with a heating band.

Is there any suggestions to what I should do? Also is my yeast (safale US-05) still intact after I cooled it too much, currently turning off the fridge to not shock the yeast and get the temp up slowly.

Thanks for any help/ suggestion!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4786 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Fermentation Temperature Control
Hello amistad2. So the first thing is your OG and thats fine just need to work on your sparging next time. No worries there.
Secondly yep you hit the nail on the head, buy a temp controller and a heat belt. Its exactly what you need to do. Its minimal expense and well worth the money.
Your yeast should kick off again as it warms up and finish the job. For now maybe buy a heat belt or pad and get it going and for your next brew look at getting the temp controller connected.
Ill try and post a couple of Gashs videos on the subject. Cheers mate

More
3 years 8 months ago #4787 by Finnroo

• amistad2
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4788 by amistad2
Replied by amistad2 on topic Fermentation Temperature Control
Cheers mate, decided to get the temp controller and heat belt from Keg King yesterday. Works out fine!

More
3 years 8 months ago #4790 by Finnroo
Excellent, Cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top