• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #4256 by Gash
Yeast Rehydration Fermentis E2U was created by Gash
See BELOW for Write up.

High definition versions - drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VEG9jUmv...gnL5q-o8?usp=sharing

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Gash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #4257 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic Yeast Rehydration Fermentis E2U
I have yet to make a starter. Mostly use s-04 and us-05 and throw straight in or smack packs. The only one I re-hydrate is Lallemand Nottingham and thats only because its says to do it on the packet (may see what happens next time if I throw that in dry).
Waiting for Finnroo's comments, he's keen on starters :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
4 years 6 months ago #4258 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Yeast Rehydration Fermentis E2U
Cherry, I have alot to say about this topic. Im just about to print off the post. But firstly , i dont believe what I read, and 2nd I learn from doing.
Im still on the re hydrating ,yeast starter because I really know it makes for a better brew., I will read and then post my thoughts ,and its only an opinion and i enjoy the discussion. cheers

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #4259 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Yeast Rehydration Fermentis E2U
I'm not trying to tell people not to hydrate or make a starter, just that technologies have changed over the years and don't stress too much if you don't have time or just can't be bothered! It's a very interesting study though that challenges a lot of things people have passed down the grapevine over the years. Years ago it was handy to do just to see if your yeast was still alive, but with good sellers and home brewers knowing how to store correctly its not so important. Cheers!
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Gash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
4 years 6 months ago #4260 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic Yeast Rehydration Fermentis E2U
It will make for an interesting discussion.
Glad Gash does these clips.
I should do a confession on how lax my cleaning and sterilization is. Suppose I will only change when I get a beer I pour down the drain.

More
4 years 6 months ago #4261 by Finnroo
Thanks Gash. The brewing journey can be complex and mixed with good and not so good results. I always say that improvements in your brew come in very small increments. So that one improvement doesnt make alot of difference however 4 or 5 changes adds up to a better brew. As far as that Brew post goes from that company that claims to have changed the way yeast re hydrates and performs i put it in the same basket as the supplements scam, that is selling their products and taking their money for the good of the company. How can we sell more yeast, well lets say its so simple ,just sprinkle it in ,no worries. Next thing we ll be fermenting in a day and that will be fantastic. People are brewing in 2 hours ,always trying to make life easier . Its a craft for goodness sake not a cup of instant coffee . Brewing beer is always about the yeast, look after it and it will reward you for taking the time to look after it. Yeast doesnt want to re hydrate with wort ,its too hard. It likes water and then its set to say ok lets do this im ready to go, what have we got, and then into it. Yeast does not like trying to suck in wort its to complex and is a strain . Once its hydrated it can do its thing. Like warming up before a fight in the boxing ring.
I believe this to be the case, dont believe everything you read, try and see for your self. In fairness Gash said at the beginning of his video that he never found a difference, and thats fair play. I do and will stick with it..
As always Gash the deepest respect mate. cheers

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #4262 by Gash
I totally respect your views! I have way too big library of brewing books, several dozen and have read all of them, they all say different things, a couple have been reprinted and things changed, like Palmer changing thoughts about secondaries and dry hopping while yeast is active.
I've also had some very passionate responses to my video, as I knew I would, and while the most passionate have been on the side of rehydration there's also been those with long explanations as to why you should use wort instead of water!
I've been to pro breweries that have inoculation tanks and huge computer complicated setups, and others that just pitch dry.
Personally I think as long as you account for which ever way you pitch, as in if you make a starter you might need one pack and if you don't you may need two or three. Pitch rate. Not sure if I mentioned here or it was elsewhere, I used to always use two packs but that was when I was pitching at ferment temperature say 18c because lag time was long with one pack, but I found when I followed the instructions properly, which actually was fermentis again, that if you pitch dry to pitch over 20c and drop to ferment temp when you see signs of active yeast it really helped and I dropped back to the recommended one pack and that's where I've sat for many years. Of course I started with dry yeast, then had the several years of liquid yeast because people said you'd get better results, still do for specialities, but I never saw any change in quality, then have moved back to dry yeast especially since its so easy and needs no planning, which I need since looking after the children and not being able to plan when a brew day will be. Sorry straying from subject, what I mean is I think there's right ways to pitch dry and wrong ways, but that goes for rehydration and for starters. The way I see it if if you're getting the results you're happy with then that's great!
Cheers! and goodnight, time for bed :)
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Gash. Reason: bloody keyboard has certain keys lie kkkkkkkk that dont work well lol

More
4 years 6 months ago #4263 by Finnroo
Brilliant, great topic for a great discussion. Cheers mate.

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago #4264 by Gash
And you know that the first instructions about rehydration came from the manufacturers, and thats where I always went for usage info, this comes direct from the manufacturer too. Still a nice active starter you cant go wrong!

More
4 years 6 months ago #4265 by Finnroo
Well , the older i get more i realize that i dont know whats going on with anything. So a great discussion and one ive enjoyed. I sit in my garden and wonder, Sip a beer and realize ,there is nothing more interesting than a bee going about his business with absolutely no idea why he is doing it. .........Or does he.... i do not know. lol. cheers mate

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top