You are not logged in.

English Bitter/Draught

More
5 years 3 months ago #3753 by HOAX
English Bitter/Draught was created by HOAX
Hey guys, just finished my first brew. 1 can of English Bitter and 1 can of Draught, both Cooper's. Along with a kg of brew enhancer 1. My OG was 1055 and final was 1014, pitch temp was a bit high at 30°c, but equalled out to around 23 over the next day. Now, it fermented for 5 and ahalf days before it sat at 1014, does that sound right to all of you? I was expecting a beer around 6.5-7% ended up just shy of 5.5, I realise that it was mostly all malt and not dextrose, so I wasn't sure how far down it would go, would this be about the levels you'd expect?
Cheers guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3756 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic English Bitter/Draught
Hello there, Yeah I would have thought the OG may have been a bit higher maybe. I would leave it for another couple of days and you might get another point or two. At the end of the day the yeast will do what it does and then its done. It ll be great and for your first brew dont forget to note everything down in your brewers note book. Cheers

More
5 years 3 months ago #3757 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic English Bitter/Draught
G'day, yep a two can will finish high, each can has all the unfermentables in it needed for the style that it is, so the english bitter alone will finish around 1.011 maybe higher, and the draught probably 1.008-1.010 ish. added together I'd probably expect something like what you got, there'd be a small amount of unfermentables in the enhancer too I'd think, depending on which one.
As Finroo said leave it a couple more days and see what happens. Even if its finished it will still clear up a bit as the yeast falls out etc.
I would expect that this beer will quite bitter, if it is some aging will be its friend. I always found the English Bitter kit was bitter enough on its own. I only really enjoyed two can recipes with the Dark Ale and Stout kit. I understand it seems a popular thing to do lately with all cans, but things can get very bitter fast since, as with the unfermentables, each can is bittered for its style and no real extra bitterness is needed. If I am adding hops, especially boiling hops, I'll usually pick a low bitterness can because the hops will add a lot more, for example if I wanted to make an IPA and boils some hops for it, I would start with the pale ale kit, not the IPA kit.
Hope it turns out great mate, Cheers!

More
5 years 3 months ago #3758 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic English Bitter/Draught
Hi Gash and Finn
More of a couple of questions for you two than answering Hoax's question.
Never done a two can brew before but my initial thoughts were:
1. Would have expected the OG to be higher using two cans and BE1 for a 23l batch?
2. The strike and ferment temps are high, wouldn't that have stressed the yeast possibly causing it to finish high?
3. Assuming Hoax used both packets of coopers yeast from the cans (did you?), the Coopers yeast isn't the best, would he have been better off using S04 or a Lallemand Ale yeast?
Cheers
Chris

More
5 years 3 months ago #3759 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic English Bitter/Draught
Niceone Chris, As far as stressing the yeast goes im under the impression that yeast really prefers higher temps but the problem is it doesnt produce very nice tasting alcohol.
I have had coopers yeast finish at 1013 in a similar brew years ago but not always.
I good thing for hoax to do would be to brew the same again and change the yeast and noting the results in his brewing log.
I dont know whether or not coopers yeast is no good . Why would they put shitty yeast in with their brew kits, doesnt sound like a good practise to me.
Anyway, great disscusion boys cheers. Takecare.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3760 by Gash
1 According to Beersmith 1/055 is spot on for that brew.
2 Coopers is a tough yeast, even US05 manufacturers recommend rehydrating at 27c., I dont think 30c would stress it too much, not enough to halt fermenting once it had taken off, I dont think it finished high at all, again Beersmith estimates 1.014 for that brew, its the two can thing, they really arent made for it, though some combos do work, in my opinion for the big stouts, otherwise I dont like them, but thats personal taste.
3 Yeast again is more a personal taste thing, but since he actually didnt finish high, its not a problem. I do prefer other yeasts but again thats a personal taste.
Cheers!

More
5 years 3 months ago #3766 by HOAX
Replied by HOAX on topic English Bitter/Draught
Thanks for the replies, I've had it in the bottles for just over a week now and drank some on Friday night, ended up munted haha. It is definitely a bitter and heavy beer, not exactly the right month for it (especially here in Qld) it ended up with a very fine head on it similar to a stout, very nice mouth feel for what it is, and I'm honestly quite happy with it.

Only 1 packet of Cooper's yeast was used for fermentation.

Currently have a batch of ginger beer on the go, keen for that. Another question, I've been thinking about making a mid strength for the bloody hot weather we're having at the moment, can anyone tell me what the gravity of just a Cooper's extract can is? Or some basic recipes for a "lawnmower" mid strength? Cheers

More
5 years 3 months ago #3767 by Gash
Thats great it turned out! Would be better to use both yeasts but since it turned out, who cares lol..
With a tin of 1.7kg and 500g of Light Dry Malt you'd be looking at around 3.5% @ 23L
Cheers!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top