You are not logged in.

Coopers Extra Strong "13

• dkcollier
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #1918 by dkcollier
Coopers Extra Strong "13 was created by dkcollier
Hi guys,

Just put (my first) extract brew together, being the Coopers Extra Strong Ale '13.

Originally planning to keg, but I am leaning towards bottles/secondary ferment for this one now.

Having done a couple of partial mashes, I have been cold crashing/force carbing, and things are coming out nicely - my question is, should be be cold crashing this bad boy before bottling? Advice I seem to be getting is that I shouldn't be, as I will lose too much yeast for the secondary ferment - but this doesn't make sense to me as I assume if I would filter I'd probably lose more?

Apologies if this sounds a silly question...

Dan Collier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #1919 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers Extra Strong "13
Cold crashing before bottling is no problem at all, it will be fine and you'll get less junk in the bottom of the bottles, I say go for it!

• dkcollier
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #1932 by dkcollier
Replied by dkcollier on topic Coopers Extra Strong "13
Ok, so now I think I have a problem of "inconvenient timing". The extra strong is fermenting away, but as of about 10 minutes ago - is only down to 1017 (from OG of 1063). My issue is that as of lumch time on Tuesday, I am leaving for 6 days for Christmas...

My question is - will I be right to leave it until I get back? Or do I need to look at contingencies? :ohmy:

Dan Collier
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by dkcollier. Reason: Spelling

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #1933 by Gash
It will be fine left till you get back, no issues!

• dkcollier
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #1936 by dkcollier
Ok, back late last night, keen as to keep this one going - and gravity is 1016. Expected to finish between 1008-1012. Now I must confess I did add an extra 500g of dextrose to bring SG up to what I expected to achieve expected %ABV - is this what has made it stop so high? Or am I looking at a "stuck" ferment. I opted to use a different yeast (10g of English Ale yeast - I think it was Maurivin 514 Ale Yeast) as opposed to the 2 packets of Coopers yeast). Ferment temp has been kept as close to 18° as my temp controller can manage.

Looks good, tastes good, hoping to get some feedback before I pull the trigger on the cold crash.

Dan Collier
Attachments:

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #1939 by Gash
Id say it was done, you can test it by putting some in a jar , enough to take a reading, give the jar a shake and put it somewhere warm, 20-25c. check it in the morning, see if the gravity has changed. If not you're all good.

• dkcollier
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #1940 by dkcollier
Ok, Having tried to coax the beast back to life unsuccessfully, cold crashed and on track for bottling tomorrow at some stage.

What's got me a little stumped is the amount of dextrose to Bulk Prime with. I've watched your video Gash, and noted 180g, which is what my home brew shop guy suggested.

The Extra Strong recipe suggests a rate of 8g (or slightly lower) per 740/750ml bottle - let's say for argument I get 25 long necks, that would be 205, but now I'm reading that, if I went a gram lower that'd be 180 :oops:

Anyway....the aussie hombrewer page seemed to concur with 180 (7g/750ml), but their calculator has me perplexed...even selecting a much higher carbonation than the style suggests, still only 116g....
Aussie Home Brewing Calculator

I will go with 180g I think, just wondering others thoughts on calculators, and how much bottling temp plays in carbonation? (say 1-5 degrees straight off cold crash as opposed to 18-20 degrees).

Apologies if it seems like I am asking a lot of questions, but I am super keen to get it right the first time. B)

Dan Collier

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #1941 by Gash
I always had issues with the carb calculators, always seemed way too low, but others seem to use them, they say successfully. I always did the calc myself, divided how many litres I had by 750 and then the usual 7g per bottle and worked it out that way, I didn't adjust for temps even though it does make a difference apparently, but if you were going to use carb drops then you'd be adding the same amount no matter what the temperature. It's hard to say what will work for you because it seems to be different for everyone!

More
8 years 1 month ago #1952 by find_another_slave
Replied by find_another_slave on topic Coopers Extra Strong "13
Damn "captcha code" issues stopping me from posting earlier...

Anways, a few weeks on, found bottling to be an interesting experience, but mostly have decided to keep this process for "special beers".

Ended up with half a long neck, shown in first attachment - ran out of beer to fill it with. Apparently I wasn't paying attention during the course of filling, as I had 2 others that were less than optimally filled! (I put that down to my happy 3 year old helper...). Wasn't even thinking of what would happen with that much headspace...

Needless to say, those 3 were bottle bombs, glad I wasn't using glass. massively overcarbed, and not much of anything else.

Tonights the night for the first "good" one. Let's see.... :blink:
Attachments:

More
8 years 1 month ago #1954 by find_another_slave
Replied by find_another_slave on topic Coopers Extra Strong "13
Something very bad has happened...seemed to be alright going into the bottle - but coming out... :sick:
Very low carbonation (the bottle bombs were massively over carbed), odd taste to the malt profile, not playing nicely with the hops at all....

Will see how/whether some further ageing helps....

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top