You are not logged in.

Getting the best from the Brewzilla 3.1 (35l) ?????

• GeoffN
  • GeoffN's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 4 months ago #5117 by GeoffN
Hi again All,
I brewed again yesterday, and decided to make the Belgian Pale (the Kölsch will have to wait until after Christmas) . . . . . . and I had a much better brew day than any of my previous attemps with the "beast". It wasn't perfect, but the flow/recirculation and the sparge were noticeably better.
I had a grain bill of 5kg of which 3kg was precrushed Pils malt (bought before I got the mill, so needed to be used), and 2kg of Maris Otter that I crushed myself. I reset the mill gap to 1.2mm, and moistened the whole grain with a fine spray. I left it ~10 min before milling. I chose the 1.2mm gap because I felt that the 1.45mm suggested in the Gladfield article was just a bit too wide for my Maris Otter. The crush looked pretty good, and was almost dust free. I also decided to use 150g of rice hulls because the precrushed Pils malt seemed to be quite fine and was dusty. I rinsed this with hot water, and let it drain before mixing it in with the rest of the grain.
I mashed in with 18l of water, and let it stand for 5 to 10 min before turning on the pump (as recommended by Gash and Cherry1). The circulation was a bit slow to start with, but seemed to settle down to a steady flow after a short time. I was able to set the ball valve to ~1/3 open. I would have liked to have had a higher flow rate because I was fighting to keep the mash temperature to the set value because of the low ambient temperature (a very cold garage at the beginning of an English winter). However, I ramped up the set value a couple of degrees, and it was more or less OK after that.
The result was a wort with an OG of 1.051. Based on the predicted values this suggests an efficiency of ~70%. I usually get ~75% with my old mash tum and sparge system, but I'm OK with this.
The next brew will be based entirely on home crushed malt. I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll try it without the rice hulls using the 1.2mm gap, or reduce the gap to ~1.0mm, and continue using rice hulls???? I'll mull it over tonight with a pint or two.
Cheers
Geoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #5118 by Finnroo
Top man. Take your time and try your different opions as you go. But remember to only change one thing at a time so you can tell whats changed. Good stuff cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeoffN

More
3 years 4 months ago #5119 by ozdevil1
good Stuff as finnroo said only change 1 thing at a time

my thoughts with 5kg of grain i would be looking at least 21l of h2o to mash in

ricehulls may give you less effiency but will help not getting a stuck mash or sparge as the rice hulls act like filter

70-75% effiency is good in my book

have fun

• GeoffN
More
3 years 4 months ago #5120 by GeoffN
Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom.
I had never used, nor needed to use rice hulls in anything I brewed before buying the Brewzilla (including many batches of Weizen over the years). Your comments on the possible reduction in efficiency are interesting. My primary goal at the moment is to get to a point where I have a good circulation through the mash, without sacrificing too much efficiency. If I can achieve this through step by step adjustments to the mill/grain crush, then I'll be happy not to use the rice hulls at all.
More mash water is also worth considering . . . . but I'm a bit concerned about reducing the sparge volume too much. Or is that not a problem with a recirculating system?
Cheers
Geoff

More
3 years 4 months ago #5121 by Finnroo
I just want to add that I only have a chilly bin(don't take the piss lol )mash tun. My local shop used to crush at 1.45. I never ever had a stuck sparge. At a 60 minute mash at 67deg C with a ph of 5.3 , my efficiency would very from 73% to probably under 70% (4 to 5 points down) some times. However, with the same crush,temp and ph but mashing for 80 minutes instead to just the common 60 minutes my efficiency is always 73% on the nose every time.
My brew shop a couple of months ago got a new mill with 3 rollers, and like Gash he couldnt measure the gap and the crush was a lot finer. My efficiency went up to I think close to 80% but I had blocked sparges, Massive doe balls. I basically lost the smooth control of my mash and sparge. I had a chat to him last week and he adjusted it 3 times until i was happy, remember he couldnt measure the gap (and thats a bloody pain in its self) but it must have been close because all my issues disappeared and my efficiency returned to 73% spot on.
And yes I do over night mash but I mash out after 80 minutes on maSH day as I call it and FG has been spot on at 1.011_1.012.
So I guess what im saying is, if your happy with the improved flow with the crush as you have it now , maybe increase you mash time to 80 min, dont for get to mash out for 10 minutes and sparge at 75degC.
Whether or not these ideas transpose to the Brewzilla or Grainfather or whatever I have no idea. Good luck and Im sure this time next year you will be a pro with some awesome and fun brew days under your belt. Cheers.

More
3 years 4 months ago #5122 by Gash
Rice hulls shouldn’t lower eff% they should raise it if anything. The reason things are different, and it doesn’t matter which system in the 35L-40L range grainfather, robobrew, guten, ace etc is the mash pipe, it’s thin and long. Where as an esky is wide the mash bed is a lot thinner.

More
3 years 4 months ago #5123 by Gash
Rice hulls shouldn’t lower eff% they should raise it if anything. The reason things are different, and it doesn’t matter which system in the 35L-40L range grainfather, robobrew, guten, ace etc is the mash pipe, it’s thin and long. Where as an esky is wide the mash bed is a lot thinner.

• GeoffN
More
3 years 4 months ago #5124 by GeoffN
Thanks again to both of you.
My old mash tun was based on two 30l, large diameter PP pales with lots of foam insulation (one inside the other, with 2mm holes drilled into the bottom of the inner pale, and a tap in the outer one for drainage). And as you point out from your experiences using an insulated cooler box (or as you call it in Australia "an esky"), the grain bed was not that deep compared with the diameter. I realised that the deeper grain bed in the Brewzilla malt pipe is probably causing it to compact more. The result being that the flow through the grist is slower. I'm in no doubt now that the rice hulls help a lot, but equally (based on everything that I've learnt from this forum) the crush has got to be right too . . . . . So, I will persevere.
Just for the record, I already mash for ~90 minutes (old habits die hard), but I have never bothered to mash out. It never seemed worth the effort, particularly with my old set-up. However, it will be easier with the Brewzilla, so I might give it a try. What temperature do you normally use? I already sparge at ~75degC.
I'm learning a lot from you guys. You are very lucky to have such an enthusiastic and helpful home brewing community in Australia. Unfortunately there isn't anything like The Home Brew Network in the UK. Our local brew club is very sociable, and a great place to compare brews, have a chat, and occasionally get pi55ed. But we havn't had a meeting since February because of social distancing and pubs closing etc. So its really good to pick your collective brains :-)

More
3 years 4 months ago #5125 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic Getting the best from the Brewzilla 3.1 (35l) ?????
Thanks gash

Honestly I haven’t but I bought a few kits online and pretty much stuck to one place for the last 1/2 dozen brews and each time told them I’m using a brewzila and they just say should be fine. I’ll try the rice hulls for sure. I thought I was onto it once I’d got rid of that fine screen. I also did a cream ale and that was the worst maybe because of all the adjuncts in it? The best flowing ones I’ve had were a pacific ale from G&G and 2 mild ales one I got online and one I picked up from beerco but I’ve had others from those places and it’s been stuck sparge central lol. I’ll get it right I might buy a mill and try that any recommendations on mills?
Cheers
Ray

• GeoffN
More
3 years 4 months ago #5127 by GeoffN
Have posted a recommendation under the topic "Grain Mill"
Cheers
Geoff

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top