You are not logged in.

False bottom

• Bacchus
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #3987 by Bacchus
False bottom was created by Bacchus
Hi guys, Just want pick peoples brains for a moment. At the moment my equipment is a bit Heath Robinson, although i've got hold of four 11 gallon kegs, two of which will be converted into a HLT / Boiler and a mash tun. However, at the moment I have to use what I have, but have no FB in my mash tun. I play the drums and have 2 kits, both of which came with cheap nasty brass cymbals which I have never used as I have my Paiste cymbals. My question is, Can I use one of these cymbals to convert into a FB or can the brass impart strange or odd metallic flavours into the wort?
Cheers guys for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #3989 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic False bottom
hmm thats an interesting question... one I havent heard... I'd guess you'd want to make sure it was lead free brass,,, I have some info some where about that sort of stuff.. I'll be back!

More
4 years 10 months ago #3990 by Gash
I used brass fittings for a long time, just unsure about cymbals, but saying that its probably better quality brass then the cheap taps i used lol.. guess you could try pickling it and see what happens?

howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-b/brewing-metallurgy

homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=...pic.php?f=33&t=20910

• Bacchus
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #3994 by Bacchus
Replied by Bacchus on topic False bottom
Hiya Gash, cheers man for checking that out for me. I did a bit of research about lead leeching in brass myself as well. In truth mate, I think it's best err on the side of caution. My diet is unhealthy enough without adding lead to it..lol. As I said in the OP, i'm going to be converting a couple of SS kegs in the next few months, so trying to save a few shillings I think, is just not worth the health risk. Besides, i'm not sure I like the thought of billions etc. of lead atoms and electrons floating about in my beer..I think it'd kinda put me off...lol. As it's only short term solution until the conversion, i'm going to use an old fermy bucket lid on plastic stilts. Still a bit ` Heath Robinson `...but hey..I suppose if it works...lol

Gash, thank you for taking the time and trouble, very much appreciated. You take care, happy brewing and keep 'er lit big lad

More
4 years 10 months ago #3995 by Gash
Lots of old scary stuff around about brass but most these days are all good, but I totally get ya mate, I dont know about cymbals! I know they caused this ringing in my ears lol Cheers!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top