You are not logged in.

Starsan vs Sodium Percarbonate

• davidevans
  • davidevans's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #2632 by davidevans
Starsan vs Sodium Percarbonate was created by davidevans
I'm a bit confused as to which one of the above to use for what.
Have been using Starsan as a sanitiser with no problems but also hear a lot of references to Sodium Percarbonate. Is it only for cleaning or can I sanitise with it too?
Appreciate your comments.
Cheers
David
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by davidevans.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #2633 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Starsan vs Sodium Percarbonate
Yes SP can sanitise but it takes longer say 10mins and only has a life span once mixed of a few hours, Star San takes 30secs to sanitise and lasts for weeks once mixed. SP is a great cleaner and star san isnt a cleaner. SP can be used to sanitise but things need to sit in it for a while. THey both have their uses at different times and for different things. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidevans

More
6 years 2 months ago #2993 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Starsan vs Sodium Percarbonate
Im having bottleing issues, Im getting either, some with signs of infection or over carbonated.
3 or 4 bottles gushing.
I store my empty bottles in a big plastic rubbish bin with a lid. The bin is filled with water and a good dolope of bleach ( Janola). The day before bottleing I take out the bottles and place a cap on each one. The next day I rack my brew to the bottleing bucket, batch prim and start bottleing tiping out the small amount of pooling in each bottle as I go.
Question 1 is does diluted bleach have an active life span.
Question 2 is Im not actually mixing in the sugar solution with a spoon, is it possible that this is the problem. I let it sit for about 10 minutes.
I entered in a competition and unfortunatly it gushed. One judge said suspected infection with a sacc strain?
I had a bottle yesterday and the first glass was perfect , clear and tasted spot on. However i noticed the beer left in the 750 ml bottle ( about 400ml ) was starting to form a head and stopped at about 2 cms. When it came time to pour my second it was all cloudy and cherned up. Drinkable but not flash, tipped it in the garden.
Any help much appriciated, awesome cheers.

More
6 years 2 months ago #2994 by Gash
Bleach has a pretty short lifespan, it even loses a lot of effectiveness while still in the original bottle, then once watered down it wouldnt last very long. Bleach is a great cleaner and chews through organic matter fairly well, it can be used for sanitising but I would be a little wary of using no rinse, its possible to do so, but you might want to be more careful in the dilution you use because it can give you off flavours.

Bulk priming I never mixed it in, I never waited the 10mins either. I did use it hot, if you let it cool down it can thicken and not mix in well, so the hot mix usually went on first then the beer racked on top of it with the hose coiled in the bottom to mix it, I never had as issues doing it like that.

It does sound like those bottles may of been infected, I can't say how that happened though but yeah I'd look into your sanitising methods. The bleach for the soak is fine but it would be great to use a no rinse sanitiser for a quick rinse before bottlling.

This is worth having a listen to, it takes some time to get to the nitty gritty but the maker of star san talks about using bleach, and also a homemade star san, listen to it all if you plan to do so because the mix he uses can be dangerous if not done correctly, but thats the same with star san. I use a cheaper LHBS version of star san.
www.cellardweller.net/index.php/en/forum...-with-charlie-talley

Cheers!

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #2995 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Starsan vs Sodium Percarbonate
Very good interview, thanks for posting. I dont quite get where he sais at 13.00 min to get the ph down to 8. Well first he sais 4 then corrects himself to 8 . do you think thats correct I think he was right the first time with lowering the ph with vinegar to 4.
I know our chch water is 7.1 and milk is neutral at 7 higher is alkiline and lower is acidic.
5.2 is ideally acidic for mashing.
www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-02/asfm-vik021306.php
Am i going in the right direction with this.?
cheers
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Finnroo.

More
6 years 2 months ago #2996 by Gash
Yeah thats odd isnt, my water can 8 at times, and star san needs to be 4 or below so I guess he meant 4 yeah.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top