You are not logged in.

Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #401 by Dullahan Brewing
Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort? was created by Dullahan Brewing
ok i am not happy with the fermwrap heater i have for the outside of my 33lt bucket fermenter. Wires too delicate,no temp control etc etc. So one option i have been looking at is using an aquarium type immersion heater directly in the wort during primary fermentation. I would like opinions on this method and pros and cons please.

I must say first that i do not forsee infection being an issue here as a good dousing with starsan like everything else should sort that and the lead will be entering the Fv through a sealed rubber bung. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• munisingbeer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #406 by munisingbeer
Replied by munisingbeer on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
Hmmm, very interesting. only concern I can see is the small surface area might only heat a small portion of thewort. if you do this I'd be interested in how it comes out. good luck

More
11 years 1 month ago #408 by Gash
People have used them before, they arent very popular though. Most aquarium immersion heaters are usually recommended to have the top out of the water, this is difficult in a brew due to the rising of the wort during some fermentations. If you do find the right sort make sure you get one appropriate to the size of your fermenter too. Also try and get one that hasnt got too many nooks and crannys for nasties to hide in! Check around the brew shops and you may find a purpose built one, they will more than likely be more expensive, but just make sure they are built well and not just a cheaper repackaged aquarium heater.
Good Luck!

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #409 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
Fair enough. Between this and a heat pad for under the fv which would be better?

More
11 years 1 month ago #411 by Gash
I think a heat pad is a lot less trouble. I also think a temperature controller is still important to regulate it.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #413 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
So basically hook a stc 1000 up to a heat pad and away you go ?

More
11 years 1 month ago #414 by Gash
yep put the fermenter on the heat pad, attach the temp. probe to the side of the fermenter like that photo I posted before, and rig up your temp. controller and plug the heat pad into it.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #417 by Dullahan Brewing
When you order the stc 1000 does it come with a temp probe or do you have to buy that seperate?

• munisingbeer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #418 by munisingbeer
Replied by munisingbeer on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
both of mine came with, just be sure to get the 110v or 220v correct for you

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #419 by Gash
just to let you know the 220v is fine for 240v thats what we have here, I think they go off where you live?
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by .

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top