You are not logged in.

Overnight Mashing

• davidevans
  • davidevans's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #4897 by davidevans
Overnight Mashing was created by davidevans
What experiences have people on hear of mashing overnight to split your brew day in two?
I tried it recently, mashed in at 67 C for an hour, turned off the heat then left my BIAB urn with insulation for 8 hours. Amazingly next day it was still 47C so cranked it up to 75C, mashed out, sparged and continued with the boil as normal.
What I hadn't counted on was the increase in efficiency which according to Brewfather went from 75% to 87% meaning my estimated ABV instead of 4.3% was now 5.8%! I toyed with the idea of diluting it but decided to push ahead & its fermenting now. Have since discovered that by creating another equipment profile on Brewfather & using the higher efficiency & longer mash time I can scale the grain qty down so that it's closer to 4.5%, if this works, it's a significant saving over time. Keen to hear any constructive comments on this method both positive and negative.Has Gash done any videos on this topic?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #4898 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Overnight Mashing
No I haven’t done any videos on it. The problem with dropping temp like that is that all the longer sugar chains will be broken down to simple sugars thus the beer should ferment right out, possibly under 1.005. Grain bill dependent.. it will still be beer of course but you lose a bit of control. If you can limit the headspace, maybe by a mat or something on top on the actual mash, I’ve done that in a video some where for a small mash, that will help keep some more heat in. Or possibly actually mash out, to kill the enzymes off, then leave it. Cheers mate!

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #4901 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Overnight Mashing
Funny enough Ive decided to go back to the over night mash, as my last 2 brew days have just been too tiring and I havnt really enjoyed them like i should. I did many over night mash brews up until about a year ago because of fatigue and they worked really well for me.
Yes ( checking my notes)my efficiency was up a bit but not much from my normal 72% up to 75%.(3% up)
I cant see any issues in my notes about excessive attenuation .
Next morning my mashes were around 50- 52degc.
The only issue I had was i did a 2 night mash and made a sour beer .So mash over one night only lol my bad.
My mash tun is a simple cooler set up so my expected efficiency is 72%
Do a few more brews and you ll soon be able to work out where your at as far as efficiency and F.G etc go.
My next brew is next week and i ll be doing an overnight mash so will post my results as they come in.
I think its worth pursuing if it helps. Cheers.
And ive just reread Gashes response and he mentions about a mat of some sort to cover your mash and I have made one that I always use.( got the idea from Gash video he mentions. It is a rolled up yoga mat and it sits on top of the mash inside the mash tun. Works real well. Ill try and find it and post it here. Cheers
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Finnroo.

• davidevans
More
3 years 7 months ago #4906 by davidevans
Replied by davidevans on topic Overnight Mashing
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I'm not sure it's something I'd switch to every time but a handy alternative if pushed for time on one day.
As a matter of interest, at what stage did you mash out as Gash suggests or did you do this next day?

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #4907 by Finnroo
Yeah I mashed out the next day. The mashing out also helps in sparging your mash by raising the viscosity rinsing the sugars through the grain bed.On my system anyway.

I guess you could mash out after an hour or so and then next day mash out again before sparging. That would stop the conversion. Alot of this brewing gig is trial and error and these all in one systems allow for a lot of options.
And the other thing is as Gash said about it fermenting right out. although it didnt seem to be a problem, it may very much depend on the grain bill.
Good luck and Id be interested to know how it goes. Cheers.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #4929 by Finnroo
How did your FG finish at?. So with my over night, OG was up by 8 points at 1050. Final gavity was down 3 point at 1008.
Instead of a beer at about 4.2% this one will be 5.6%.
I really want to get the ABV down so my next over night mash I will take Gashs idea of mashing out on the mash day and that hopefully will stop conversion.
Ill post my results in a couple of weeks. Any other thoughts are welcome. Cheers

• davidevans
More
3 years 7 months ago #4947 by davidevans
Replied by davidevans on topic Overnight Mashing
My OG was up 10 pts, actual 1.055, estimated 1.045.
FG was also different, actual 1.006, estimated 1.011.
ABV instead of 4.5% came in at 6.4%
So, next time I'll create a new profile to allow for increased efficiency, hopefully use a bit less grain and definitely mash out on the day as above.Not something I'd do every time but another useful tool to have in the box.

More
3 years 6 months ago #5008 by Finnroo
So had an interesting conversation today on this subject and it would appear that if you mash out higher at 80degc on mash day that should kill the enzyme .75 or 77deg is not enough and will carry on converting. I cant do that with my system but if you have the opportunity would be cool to have a go and see. Set your mash out to 80degc
Anyway just an up date and im keen to nail it. lol. cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top