Brut IPA

• Cherry1
  • Cherry1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 7 months ago #3500 by Cherry1
Brut IPA was created by Cherry1
The latest Craft Beer & Brewing magazine has an article on the latest US craze of Brut IPA.
As an idiot who prefers trying to brew something different every time, this took my fancy, even though I have never even tried one.
Cannot seem to find a commercial version at this time in South Australia.
Has anyone tried one?
Recipe in mag is basically 2-row with red wheat, brown rice flakes and oat flakes, no bittering hops, but a reasonable amount of flavouring hops. Amyloglucosidase enzyme half way through fermentation to dry it out. Calls for Hallertau Blanc hops that I cannot find but looks like Nelson Sauvin is similar.
Pretty straight forward, got to be worth a punt????
Cheers
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #3501 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Brut IPA
I'e had one, a mate brewed one ummmm this one Wolf of the Willows ‘Southern Brut’ Brut IPA. It was ok, it didnt jump out at me, just like a thin IPA . Just drinking an Enigma IPA I reckon this is very like Nelson Sav, probably nicer in my opinion. I think you could simplify the grain bill if you wanted, Ale malt (2row), some wheat and some oats. but yeah go for it! Wasnt as bitter as a big IPA that would be why they miss the 60min, then again the last pale ale and IPA I just brewed had no 60min. Enzymes will help dry it out of course. Cheers!

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 7 months ago #3502 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic Brut IPA
Cheers Gash.

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 7 months ago #3513 by Cherry1
The grain bill for this will be:
3.2kg 2 row
450g wheat
450g rice flakes
260g oat flakes
I would think that I might get an issue with recirculating the mash and sparging, is it worth throwing in some rice hulls and if so how much (never used them before)?
Cheers

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #3514 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Brut IPA
Hello Cherry1 Wouldnt have a clue what this beer is lol. but very interesting, Im thinking arout 600g to avoid that stuck sparge. With rice hulls and the type you get alot for your money, so 600 i would guess is a starting point. ( if youve got room for it) cheers mate.
Just reread the beginning ,so its a brut ipa. mmmmm sounds good.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Finnroo.

More
5 years 7 months ago #3515 by Gash
600g is a lot of rice hulls! It wont hurt,though. I think briess say around 3-5% from memory, I usually go about 200g, but some extra wont hurt! Cheers!

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 7 months ago #3516 by Cherry1
Thanks fellas.

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #3521 by Cherry1
Will finally get round to brewing this at the weekend.
Question about the Enzymes:
The recipe calls for them to be added during fermentation when SG is down to 1.022, but packet says to add at the same time as the yeast.
Anyone have any experience using them? What is the impact of both methods?
Obviously easier to add at same time as yeast.
Cheers
Chris

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #3522 by Gash
Yep I have heard of both methods and I'm no expert at using them. I have heard a lot of people at it at the end, usually when there's a problem with the ferment and it doesnt look like its going to get as low as they'd like, but I've also read that there is advantages of using them very early when you pitch the yeast.

Quote " By adding the enzyme α-acetolactate decarboxylase (ALDC) (e.g. Novozymes' Ma­turex) at the beginning of the primary fermentation process, it is possible to bypass the diacetyl step (Figure 7) and convert α-acetolactate directly into acetoin. Most of the α-acetolactate is degraded before it has a chance to oxidise and less diacetyl is therefore formed. This makes it possible to shorten or completely eliminate the maturation period (3) and (4). The brewery enjoys greater fermentation and maturation capacity without investing in new equipment."

Keep in mind there are different types of enzymes and I've never seen anyone include which type they are using when they discuss the matter.

This is an ok read even though some of it makes my brain hurt lol
www.biokemi.org/biozoom/issues/522/articles/2368

Cheers!
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Gash.

More
5 years 6 months ago #3523 by Gash
Enzymes for Brewing
A number of enzymes and yeast nutrients are available to suit various brewed products. All of the enzymes are derived from non-GM sources.

Beta Glucanase - Laminex® Super3G - High activity beta-glucanase improves lautering and beer filtration

Low Carb Beers/Increased Attenuation - GA 400, Opticarb® and Decarbase for the production of low carb beers, choice of enzyme is based on the required level of carbohydrate reduction in the final beer

Fungal Amylase - Diazyme® FA - to remove starch haze and increase fermentable sugars

Barley β-amylase extract - Optimalt® BBA - for high maltose fermentations

Papain - to prevent the formation of protein haze in beers

Yeast Nutrients
Solvabrew™- Balanced blend of nutrients for beers - liquid

Yeast Food - Balanced blend of nutrients for beers - powder

KV Mix - Kosher Vitamin Mix - Balanced blend of nutrients formulated specifically for ciders, can also be used for beers and winemaking

Solvabrew and Opticarb is a registered Trademarks of Connell Bros Company Australasia Pty Ltd

Optimalt is a Registered Trademark of DuPont Industrial Biosciences.

Diazyme & Laminex are Registered Trademarks of the Danisco Group of Companies or their affiliate Companies.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top