Stuck mash and sparge

• Cherry1
  • Cherry1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #3377 by Cherry1
Stuck mash and sparge was created by Cherry1
Had my 5th brew day on the Robobrew yesterday.
Could not recirculate during the mash without almost continuous stirring, this continued until about half way through the sparge, when for some reason it cleared and flowed as normal.
My grain mill was set at the same gap as usual (0.035"). The only difference was this was the first time I have used Pilsner Malt in the Robobrew. Malt bill was 5kg Pils Malt 500g Crystal and 16.5l water.
After milling I did think that the grain looked a bit powdery.
Was I just unlucky, does Pilsner Malt require a softer mill or could it be something else?
Apart from the fact that I could not clear through the grain bed my OG was bang on. After 24hrs all the crap has dropped to the bottom of the fermentor, so hopefully all will be well.
Any input appreciated.
Cheers
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #3378 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Stuck mash and sparge
Hi Chris, Talking with a commercial brewer a few weeks back who had a terrible time with Rye ale malt saying it was( malt) so brittle and splintered and floured up and created a terrible stuck sparge on a large scale. He showed me and from the way he was talking it hadnt been an issue before.
Sounds like you handled it well. It may well just have been that batch of Pils malt. I dont but some people like to add rice hulls to the grain bill to avoid a stuck sparge.And apparently that does the trick. but i personally wouldnt worry too much at this stage. Gash will have some good tips for that type of brew set up.
Now hang on, ive just had a flash back to when i made an NEIPA and i did use rice hulls because the guy at the brew shop recommended it with the malt I was going to use. Ill check my notes and get back to you. cheers.

No ,i just checked and it was because i was using 1.5kg of wheat malt, so yeah good luck. cheers
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Finnroo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top