Brewdog #4 Riptide

• Cherry1
  • Cherry1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #3210 by Cherry1
Brewdog #4 Riptide was created by Cherry1
Been looking through Brewdogs back catalogue for something I fancied brewing (assume lots of people have this as it is free). #4 Riptide looks like an interesting stout.In the Brewers Tips section it states:
We recommend adding the chocolate malt at the start of the run off to ensure you extract the flavour and colour without imparting too much astringency of the malt in your wort.
Anyone done this before?
If you add before first runnings assume nothing would happen unless you mixed in and disturbed the grain bed.
Or do I do first runnings, mix in then batch sparge?
Thanks for any help
Chris
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3211 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Brewdog #4 Riptide
I'd probrbaly mix them in the top a couple of minutes before mash ends, I think a lot would depend on the speed you do your batch sparge and drain etc, if its done very quickly then you want it at the end of mash, if its a slowish process you could mix em in at batch, maybe leave it for 5 mins or so to settle and make sure they are wet. then drain. Kind of depends on your batch sparge size too , if its only a few litres it might not be enough to get out what you want, but if its a big batch sparge should be ok... hmmm confusing lol

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #3212 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic Brewdog #4 Riptide
Thats the way i was thinking. Appreciate the back catalogue being free, but they make you work with missing info.
Would intend to do normal biggish batch sparge.
Hopefully big kegerator purchase happens tommorrow:woohoo:

More
5 years 11 months ago #3214 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Brewdog #4 Riptide
I hav nt done this yet, but when i do my next stout i will mash all the grains together, mash out lower so i dont raise the mash above 70deg and then fly sparge with water no hotter than 70deg and also drop the sparge water ph down to around 5.2 with phosphoric. Just an idea. cheers

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #3215 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic Brewdog #4 Riptide
Cheers Finn.
I have started fiddling around with water additions, but I havent checked my ph on any brews that I have done (no meter). May start by trying the ph strips for the fish pond :-).

More
5 years 11 months ago #3219 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Brewdog #4 Riptide
niceone Cherry1 . Be interested to know how you get on.cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top