You are not logged in.

First all grain/Grainfather

• Walruss
  • Topic Author
  • AKA RackOffBrewing
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #2053 by Walruss
First all grain/Grainfather was created by Walruss
Well the day went pretty well, my mash pH was 5.1 and the OG finished up at 1.055, was aiming for 1.054 so I thought that was close enough. I was doing a Mangrove Jack's Jacked Up APA and followed the instructions to the letter.
I now wish I hadn't. I pitched the yeast straight onto the wort at 21C instead of re-hydrating. Three days later and no activity in the fermenter. On the fourth day I lifted the lid, there was a fair bit of froth and a pretty bad aroma (like plastic)
my home brew guy suggested I pitch another packet of yeast which I did, this time rehydrated. After an hour or so the airlock had a fair amount of activity, that stopped today. I checked the SG and it was around 1.045, really bad taste and aroma. Will have to start again. I did my usual sanitizing so i'm pretty confident that was all good. Any ideas before I try again B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #2054 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First all grain/Grainfather
Very strange.. SOme yeast can taste pretty filthy while fermenting.. but if its off theres no saving it.. very odd for it to go off though... Would be extremely unlucky :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top